Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-10 23:38:23

iamaditya

What is "moderated by"

Under a section in this forum such as Help Me, Members only, Exercises and so on, you see under that written as "moderated by ---" . Such as In Help me, you will see, moderated by Ricky, bob bundy, ganesh, mathsyperson. May I know what is that?

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#2 2017-06-11 04:09:49

David

Re: What is "moderated by"

iamaditya wrote:

Under a section in this forum such as Help Me, Members only, Exercises and so on, you see under that written as "moderated by ---" . Such as In Help me, you will see, moderated by Ricky, bob bundy, ganesh, mathsyperson. May I know what is that?

Different moderators and administrators are assigned to moderate threads within a specific section.

His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

#3 2017-06-11 07:31:32

Bob
Administrator

hi iamaditya

The website was set up by MathsIsFun and he has administrator status.  That means he can control everything to do with the site.  He has appointed moderators to help with that task and moderators can do some things.  eg.  If I find an unsuitable post (inappropriate language, pictures, advertising for example) I can delete it.  I can also ban a user who abuses the forum.  I have been 'assigned' certain sections of the website to 'keep an eye on'.

My biggest job in this regard is to remove inappropriate adverts and the person who has placed them.  Some guys seem to think it's ok to post a load of junk on our site and I have to stop them doing this.  I used to keep a record of every such deletion but it was taking up too much memory space and taking up too much time, so now I just zap them.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2017-06-16 19:11:35

iamaditya

Hi Moderator,

Thanks for removing that (which I had written to do) post. I do not want to talk about it anymore, but I may suggest MIF To have an adult content filter on this site...

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#5 2017-06-16 19:45:45

Bob
Administrator

There are some filters but eventually a determined poster will find a way round.

I think making a report speeds up the process of getting someone to delete something.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer