Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-26 06:29:31

jones22

Question for administrators

I was thinking of emailing directly, feel free to delete if necessary.  It is not my intention to promote my website..

Rod, Bob, Ganesh,
My site, DnsLearning.org (currently beta testing) is meant to help parents restore the balance between entertainment websites and education websites.  Every 30 min access to time wasting websites is blocked.  Only access to education sites is allowed.  We call it play mode vs learning mode.  For example, my daughter can restore access to youtube kids if she does 5 khan academy problems.  Our servers will detect that they earned points, and re-enable access to youtube kids and other sites.

I would love to add Mathisfun.com to the list of supported sites.  Hopefully my site would help increase the number of visitors to your site.   The key is progress tracking.  I would need a way to know that a user successfully solved a problem.  Would you consider creating a site like mathisfun.com that keeps track of points?  There might be some creative solutions that wouldn't require the user to log in or anything, but still allow the website to know if a user solved zero problems or 10 problems today.

thanks
Bryan Jones
support@smartmadre.com

#2 2017-08-26 16:19:24

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Question for administrators

Hi jones22,

I have send a message to the other administrators. They would reply soon.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2017-08-26 20:35:42

Bob
Administrator

hi Bryan,

Sounds like an interesting idea.  Beyond my abilities to create what is needed though.  It would have to be by Rod, the originator of MIF, I think.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2017-08-29 16:15:46

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I will look into it.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2017-08-29 22:26:57

iamaditya

Who is Rod? Is it the name of the user MathsIsFun? He is the creator of the website?

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#6 2017-08-29 23:07:47

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

The forum is the brainchild of MathsIsFun. He is the first first member, Administrator and he decides what is right or not,  takes the opinion of other moderators, and others, if required. (Later, bobbym, Administrator assisted MathsIsFun; as your are all aware, bobbym is no more. Thereafter, bob bundy and me took this place.)

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#7 2017-08-30 23:30:01

iamaditya

ganesh wrote:

The forum is the brainchild of MathsIsFun. He is the first first member, Administrator and he decides what is right or not,  takes the opinion of other moderators, and others, if required. (Later, bobbym, Administrator assisted MathsIsFun; as your are all aware, bobbym is no more. Thereafter, bob bundy and me took this place.)

I know that. I was asking who is Rod?

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

#8 2017-08-31 00:47:55

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Rod Pierce or Rod is MathsIsFun, the first Administrator.

#9 2017-08-31 04:02:41

math9maniac

ganesh wrote:

as your are all aware, bobbym is no more.

Where did he go?

Only a friend tells you your face is dirty.

#10 2017-08-31 08:06:06

Bob
Administrator

hi math9maniac

Sorry to have to break this news to you:

http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=23912

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#11 2017-11-28 14:56:25

Monox D. I-Fly

So, if I cite Math is Fun in a bibliography, the author should be Pierce, Rod? All along this time I wrote Bobbym in the bibliography whenever I cited Math is Fun.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#12 2017-11-28 15:27:40

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

Yes. You may mention Rod Pierce as the creator of the MathsIsFun website and forum. MathsIsFun started the website in 2000.

Please see #6

(I am sad to inform the demise of bobbym, who passed away about six months back.)

Board footer