Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-22 04:04:46

Emmakatecumboo

Geomotry Work

Problem B. The following is a diagram of a shuffleboard table

The table is 30 inches wide and 180 inches long. The width of the 2 and 3 rectangles is 12 inches. The sides of the 4 rectangle are 15 inches and the top and bottom are 12 inches. The 1 rectangle is twice as wide as the 2

3. What are the dimensions of the 1 rectangle?

4. What are the measurements of one of the 5 rectangles?

5. You are playing shuffleboard in P.E. class. To score points, your disc must land in a box on the other side of the table and you are awarded the number of points that is in that box. What is the probability of scoring 1 point?

6. What is the probability of scoring 2 points?

7. What is the probability of scoring 3 points?

8. What is the probability of scoring 4 point?

9. What is the probability of scoring 5 point?

10. What is the probability of scoring at all (any number of points)?

#2 2017-09-25 01:41:47

Bob
Administrator

Re: Geomotry Work

hi Emmakatecumboo

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know what a shuffleboard table is like so I'm having to make some assumptions.

Is it: a rectangle dimensions given, with smaller rectangles drawn inside it.  If you get a disc inside a given rectangle you get those many points.  I'm guessing that the rectangles fit next to each other in some way so it is possible to calculate the missing measurements. So start by drawing a picture.  It doesn't have to be accurate as long as you mark the specified lengths and widths alongside each side. 

To calculate the probability of landing in a given rectangle L by W you do (area of that rectangle=LW) over (the area of the table=30x180).  (This assumes you don't land a disc outside altogether.)

If there are more than one rectangle of a given size (say score N) then Prob(scoring N) = (total area of all the N rectangles) over (the area of the table).

That's as much as I can say without a diagram.

later edit:  I did a google search for this.  It seems there are many possible boards, some with triangular regions and some with rectangular regions.  Some have scores of 1, 2 or 3; others 7, 8, 9 or 10.  Sizes vary a lot!  So without your diagram I can do no more.  Sorry.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2017-10-03 14:24:57

emmakatecumbo

gg9bID0.jpg?1

#4 2017-10-03 20:14:25

Bob
Administrator

Post your diagram on an image sharing site such as imgur.com and link to it using the BCCode.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer