Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-06 14:46:00

Monox D. I-Fly

International Notations for Number Sets

Okay, so I know that the international notations for the set of natural numbers, whole numbers, rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers are N, Z, Q, R, and C, respectively. However, what are the international notations for the set of integers (natural numbers and zero), even numbers, odd, numbers, prime numbers, composite numbers, and cube numbers? Thanks in advance.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#2 2017-11-06 20:03:07

zetafunc
Website

Re: International Notations for Number Sets

Some authors use
to refer to both {1, 2, 3, ...} and {0, 1, 2, 3, ...}. However, in order to make the distinction clear, they may write something like
or
, to indicate whether or not 0 is included.

Even numbers are sometimes written as
, and the odd numbers as

Notation for the set of prime numbers is less common, and I've seen many different ones. Sometimes people use
or even

Likewise, I've never seen any kind of notation used for composite numbers, so just pick your favourite set notation for prime numbers and take complements accordingly -- e.g. if you use
for prime numbers, then the set of composite numbers could be written as

I haven't seen any similar notation for the set of cube numbers (nor square numbers, for that matter).

#3 2017-11-06 21:00:00

Monox D. I-Fly

Are there any international notations which state them as only 1 letter each?

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.

#4 2017-11-06 21:30:26

zetafunc
Website

Apart from the ones listed, I'm not aware of any others, no. If there are, I suspect that they are fairly non-standard.

#5 2017-11-06 21:46:03

Monox D. I-Fly

Okay, thank you.

Board footer