Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-04 21:58:53

WriterWriter
Banned

Geometry Homework Help

Hi, please help me with my geometry homework. I posted my task at [link removed by administrator] too cause I need a solution + explanation how to solve it. Thanx in advance.
1. Describe an ellipse in two sentences.2. Find the standard form of the equation of the ellipse and give the location of its foci.Standard form of equation of an ellipse with center at the origin, and major and minor axes of lengths 2a and 2b (where a and b are positive, and a2 > b2) is:The location of foci are at (–c, 0) and (c, 0) where c2 = a2 – b2.3. Graph the ellipse.a. b. c. d. [Hint: In order to graph this ellipse, find the center (h, k) by comparing the given equation with the standard form of equation centered at (h, k). Next, find a and b. Find the vertices (h – a, k) and (h + a, k). Find the foci (h + c, k) and (h – c, k).]4. A semielliptic archway has a height of 20 feet and a width of 50 feet, as shown in the figure below. Can a truck 14 feet high and 10 feet wide drive under the archway without going into the other lane?50 ft20 ft5. Find the standard form of the equation of the hyperbola whose graph is given below.6. Find the vertices of the hyperbola.7. What is a parabola? Describe in two sentences.8. The giant Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico has a parabolic dish with a diameter of 300 meters and a depth of 50 meters. (Source: National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center, Arecibo Observatory.)a. Find an equation in the form that describes a cross section of this dish.b. If the receiver is located at the focus, how far should it be from the vertex?

#2 2018-01-05 01:49:50

Bob
Administrator

Re: Geometry Homework Help

hi WriterWriter,

That link could be taken to be an advert.  As MIF is funded by paying (and carefully selected) advertisers, unsolicited advertising is a breech of our posting rules.  There is no need for the link so please demonstrate your good intentions by editing the post to remove it.

As for the questions; there's a lot there.  It would be nice to know how much you know already about ellipses.  Question 1 could be answered in so many ways.  Have you tried 'googling' for an answer?

Find the standard form .... ?  Again this depends on what you have already been taught.  One way to define an ellipse is to say it's a curve for which the equation is ......

So what definition have you been given?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2018-01-05 02:05:16

Monox D. I-Fly

That member was just banned from My Math Forum. Different username, but they linked to the same site.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#4 2018-01-05 06:33:15

Bob
Administrator

thanks Monox D. I-Fly

I will remove the link myself, and wait to see if the OP responds to my post.

Later edit: Decided to implement a ban having checked this person's registration details.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2018-01-05 12:41:34

Monox D. I-Fly

What did you find in the registration details?

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.

#6 2018-01-05 21:12:54

Bob
Administrator

hi Monox D. I-Fly

I am very grateful to you for drawing my attention to this member.  Administrators and moderators have access to additional information about each member and also controls that allow us to keep the forum running properly for all members.  I cannot give you details of what these are; sorry.  If you think about it (and bear in mind that this thread is viewable by anyone, anywhere in the world) you'll realise why this is the case.

Best wishes,

Bob

#7 2018-01-05 23:29:17

طراحی سایت راتین
Banned
Website

thanks for this post

This poste banned for advertising.  I have removed the link.  Judging by my security software's response when I visited the site,  it was more dangerous as a source of malware.  Bob Bundy, administrator.

#8 2018-01-06 11:36:15

Monox D. I-Fly

Wow, I thought back then members with less than 10 posts couldn't post links.

#9 2018-01-06 20:58:19

Bob
Administrator

There is a way.  Don't want to advertise it (no pun intended smile )

Please can we let this thread fade away so it doesn't give anything away.  Thanks.

B

#10 2018-01-10 00:30:27

iamaditya

bob bundy wrote:

There is a way.  Don't want to advertise it (no pun intended smile )

Please can we let this thread fade away so it doesn't give anything away.  Thanks.

B

A better option is to close this topic.

Administrators and moderators have access to additional information about each member

Do they include e-mail address also?

Practice makes a man perfect.
There is no substitute to hard work
All of us do not have equal talents but everybody has equal oppurtunities to build their talents.-APJ Abdul Kalam

Board footer