Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-06 11:30:50

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Relativity Introduction

I have drafted an Introduction to Relativity: Relativity

Criticisims, correction, comments all welcome.

I want to get it right before publishing on website!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2018-02-06 12:08:47

Alg Num Theory
Website

Re: Relativity Introduction

It’s a good article. Here are a few of my suggestions.

Firstly, I think the little story between Alex and Sam can be omitted. I don’t see how it’s relevant to relativity – more like having to do with theories of expanding space (e.g. by viewing 3D space as embedded in a larger 4d hyperspace – much like the 2D surface of a sphere is embedded in 3D space).

Secondly, I would mention that things like length and mass also depend on speed: the faster an object moves relative to an observer, the shorter (in the direction of motion) and more massive the observer will measure it to be.

And thirdly, you didn’t mention the most famous equation in all of physics: E = mc²! Most people who are not familiar with special relativity may still be familiar with this equation, so I think it would be a give them some background information on it.

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

#3 2018-02-06 12:32:17

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks!

The reason for the little story is that most people think "Big Bang" which gives them a false idea of a central expansion point, and I want them to know the Universe is more elegant than that.

Isn't length contraction just a way of handling certain problems and not really a thing?

And how do I work E=mc² into it?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2018-02-06 17:07:15

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi MathsIsFun,

The page on 'Relativity' is almost perfect!

I feel all relevant information has been included.

A suggestion : Please add a paragraph on time dilation. That would make the page complete in totality.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2018-02-07 01:30:56

Alg Num Theory
Website

MathsIsFun wrote:

And how do I work E=mc² into it?

It comes from the formula for relativistic momentum:

[list=*]
[*]

[/*]
[/list]

where p is momentum and m₀ is rest mass. Simply put p = 0 for a particle at rest.

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

#6 2018-02-07 11:57:37

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks guys.

#7 2019-10-17 18:10:48

seercalf

Thank you so much for creating the topic but where are the practice problems to ensure the reader masters the concept?

"Nothing is better than learning and gaining more and more knowledge." _ Stephen Hawking

#8 2019-10-18 00:48:28

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi seercalf,

They are in the topic 'Exercises' here.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer