Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-13 16:44:26

yorkmanz

compound interest

hello

please i need help understanding both questions

use the compound interest formula a= p(1+i)^n to answer the following questions:

1:) what type of equation is present if n is constant equal to 1, rather than a variable?

2:) what type of equation is present if i, A, or P are constant rather than  variable?

thanks

#2 2019-04-13 17:52:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: compound interest

Hi,

The compound interest formula:

or

where A is the Amount, P is the Principal, r or i is rate of interest per period (e.g. per month, per quarter, per annum etc.).

1.) When i increases, and n also increases, A and P increase. When i decreases n also decreases, A and P decrease.

when i increases and n decreases, or vice versa, the change is caused dependent on the values.

2). Amount and Principal is dependent on i, as well as n.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2019-04-14 09:48:22

yorkmanz

ganesh wrote:

Hi,

The compound interest formula:

or

where A is the Amount, P is the Principal, r or i is rate of interest per period (e.g. per month, per quarter, per annum etc.).

1.) When i increases, and n also increases, A and P increase. When i decreases n also decreases, A and P decrease.

when i increases and n decreases, or vice versa, the change is caused dependent on the values.

2). Amount and Principal is dependent on i, as well as n.

thanks for replying...

for 1:) since n is constant i think its just  Simple interest and principle

if

n = 1

=A = P(1+i)^n =

=P(1+i)^1

= P(1+i)

now we know that i = r/n

since r n=1,

i = r = interest rate

then we have A = P + P*i

i think its just  Simple interest and principle and we have

now the This is  a linear equation.

for 2:) TRICKY

if  i is a constant, this is an exponential equation  `a=b^n` where `b=P(1+i)` , `b` a constant. if (In this case, P is a parameter)

and so on for a, b

please correct me if i am wrong

thanks

#4 2019-04-14 12:18:59

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi yorkmanz,

Your reply (both parts) is correct.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer