Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-15 16:26:32

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Minor Upgrade - may or may not go smoothly

When things get quiet over the next few days I plan to update some server software. It will hopefully have no impact on the forum but there is always the chance that something will go awry. If so I will do my best to get it back to normal again.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2019-04-15 19:47:34

Bob
Administrator

Re: Minor Upgrade - may or may not go smoothly

hi MathsIsFun

I'll cross my fingers for you. smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2019-04-15 22:36:13

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

MathsIsFun wrote:

When things get quiet over the next few days I plan to update some server software. It will hopefully have no impact on the forum but there is always the chance that something will go awry. If so I will do my best to get it back to normal again.

Thanks! I am with you too!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2019-04-16 02:51:46

zetafunc
Website

Fingers crossed!

#5 2019-04-26 09:44:42

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I may be able to do this minor upgrade in the next few hours.

It is a "no going back" type of server upgrade, and is necessary because the old version we are running is no longher supported. I have been waiting for a time when I have a few hours available to fix any issues.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2019-04-26 14:09:14

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Upgrade completed. Am getting a few internal error messages like "Invalid argument supplied for foreach()" that I can hopefully squash.

But just clicking around the forum it seems fine. If you find any glitches let me know, OK?

#7 2019-05-09 21:07:18

zetafunc
Website

The new update has been great so far. Deleting posts happens more or less instantaneously now, as opposed to having to wait a few minutes. No problems yet!

#8 2019-05-10 00:17:53

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi MathsIsFun,

No glitches noticed.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#9 2019-05-10 13:34:41

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks guys

#10 2019-05-10 18:25:52

Bob
Administrator

Seems ok for me.  Just deleted an inappropriate post and  it happened straight away.  Great!

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#11 2019-05-13 09:16:45

zetafunc
Website

There is, however, still one issue: I can't view bobbym's post history, probably due to his post-count being so high. I'm probably not alone in saying that I miss him very much, and his insightful posts were a joy to read. It would be nice to be able to see some of his final messages again, before he left us.

#12 2019-05-14 23:15:51

phrontister
Real Member

Hi zetafunc,

Yes, I miss bobbym immensely. Most of my >4500 posts were in conversations with him, and I thoroughly enjoyed my contact with him here. They were good days!

I think I've stumbled onto a workaround regarding your problem of not being able to view bobbym's posts: ie, try viewing them when not logged in. That works for me.

When I'm logged in I can't view bobbym's posts either, but I can view his topics and the posts in them. Links in those posts work too.

Maybe MIF can find a fix for this.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#13 2019-05-15 04:20:32

zetafunc
Website

Thanks phrontister, that work pretty well. Hard to believe it has been two whole years.

#14 2019-05-15 19:37:30

Bob
Administrator

The search function yielded no results for me but the following did:

User list gave his profile, which offers a link to topics or posts.  Posts also failed here, but topics worked and gave a list starting in 2009 and running through to his last.  10 pages worth.  Is that a complete list … I'm not sure.  I tried a few at random and his posts are still there.  But only threads started by him.  If you know the thread you can find the rest.

addendum: I've just checked my PM list and all my conversations with bobbym are still intact.

Bob

#15 2019-05-15 21:30:32

phrontister
Real Member

bob bundy wrote:

The search function yielded no results for me...

Hi Bob,

Maybe you did something different from me, but my search for bobbym's posts containing the word 'pancakes' yielded these results:
- while logged in = 5, including 3 in Members Only (logged in example)
- while logged out = 2 (logged out example)

I used the plural to make sure of search success, given bobbym's penchant for pancakes (or so he led us to believe...not that I believe every word he said!) smile

My list of bobbym's topics is from 2009 to 2017: 257 topics when I'm logged in, and 240 when not. Members Only entries would account for that difference.

Looks like bobbym's first topic was 'chat possible?' on 22/4/2009, but it moved way up the list because of a 2017 post in it.

Last edited by phrontister (2019-05-15 21:35:16)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#16 2019-05-15 21:44:49

Bob
Administrator

hi Phro

Just a bobbym search with no keyword specified gives me this:

HTTP 500 error

It would seem that you can get to any post if you search diligently for long enough.  Given that bobbym is  a mathematical god, maybe that's as it should be.  Enlightenment requires some effort. smile

Bob

#17 2019-05-15 23:08:22

phrontister
Real Member

bob bundy wrote:

Just a bobbym search with no keyword specified gives me this:

HTTP 500 error

I get the same error if I'm logged in, but when logged out I get access to 192 pages of 'Topics with posts by bobbym'!

#18 2019-05-15 23:23:45

Alg Num Theory
Website

bob bundy wrote:

Given that bobbym is  a mathematical god, maybe that's as it should be.  Enlightenment requires some effort. smile

Worship.gif

I want to be the second mathematician to go to nirvana! big_smile

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

Board footer