Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-04 17:32:22

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I am a Kaboobly Doist

Hello everyone;

I thought it wouldn't be very bad if I introduced myself once again.

My name is Agnishom. I am a long time member of this forum. I'd say that being a member here has had non-trivial influences on me.

I joined this forum when I was in seventh or eighth grade. I needed some help solving some (elementary) geometry/algebra problems and I got the help I needed. Slowly, I realised that this forum offers more than just homework help, but a community. There are threads here where people have had wonderful conversations pages after pages, sharing their everyday emotions.

Soon, I became friends with bobbym. As you'd have guessed, most of my 24k+ posts are justs conversations with him, here and there on the forum. I tried convincing my friends to join this forum, which includes A, my then crush, later girlfriend and now ex. I posted birthday wishes for her on this forum as well. I asked another friend to get on to this forum and I taught her some elementary differentiation. bobbym told me about experimental mathematics, numerical methods and many interesting things. I disagree with some of his opinions, but surely he has been very influential.

The last three years, I had been pursuing undergraduate education in Mathematics/Computer Science. My area roughly is Logic/Programming Languages/Automata Theory. bobbym did not seem to like Logic/Algebra very much. I tried telling him about Curry-Howard isomorphism, but that discussion did not go very far since I started becoming less active on the forum. I wonder what he'd have thought of my current research. I am currently a PhD student at Rice University.

I am thankful to y'all for this wonderful forum and its amazing how much it shaped and comforted the teenage me. Please keep it up.

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2019-11-04 20:20:46

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: I am a Kaboobly Doist

Agnishom wrote:

I thought it wouldn't be very bad if I introduced myself once again.

To be honest, I've never introduced myself in this forum, though probably I will save that for my 2,000th post later.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#3 2019-11-04 21:22:02

Bob
Administrator

hi Agnishom

I remember when you first posted.  How time flies!

It's great to read your update.  You've done really well with your studies!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2019-11-04 22:10:42

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Welcome back, Agnishom!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2019-11-05 10:18:15

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Thank You, everyone!

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Board footer