Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-28 09:40:41

sologuitar

Difference of Cubes

Copy and paste thus url to see question.

https://imgur.com/a/ZSarUyQ

#2 2023-09-28 20:20:00

Bob
Administrator

Re: Difference of Cubes

If you graph this as a function you'll see it only crosses the x axis once so this will factorise into a linear factor and a quadratic one which won't further factorise in real numbers.

Maybe you're confused because you have used x to mean two different things. Let's avoid this by using y and b for the identity:

So y = 3x - 2 and b = 3.  This will give you the linear factor and the quadratic cannot be simplified further.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2023-09-29 00:13:17

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

If you graph this as a function you'll see it only crosses the x axis once so this will factorise into a linear factor and a quadratic one which won't further factorise in real numbers.

Maybe you're confused because you have used x to mean two different things. Let's avoid this by using y and b for the identity:

So y = 3x - 2 and b = 3.  This will give you the linear factor and the quadratic cannot be simplified further.

Bob

There is no difference between the formula you provided and the textbook x^3 - a^3 = (x - a)(x^2 + ax + a^2). So, I don't understand your comment about me being confused. I didn't go further in my work.

Let x = (3x - 2)

Let a = 3

When I plug this into your formula and Sullivan's formula, I get stop when I see the answer is something completely different that the answer posted in the back of the textbook.

#4 2023-09-29 03:57:46

amnkb

harpazo1965 wrote:

YzIqVO3.jpeg

There is no difference between the formula you provided and the textbook x^3 - a^3 = (x - a)(x^2 + ax + a^2). So, I don't understand your comment about me being confused. I didn't go further in my work.

Let x = (3x - 2)

the line above is where you use "x" to mean 2 different things: the placeholder in the factorisation formula and also the variable from the original expression

taken literally it says

harpazo1965 wrote:

When I plug this into your formula and Sullivan's formula, I get stop when I see the answer is something completely different that the answer posted in the back of the textbook.

weird
what are you getting?

let formula be

you have

so plug in

#5 2023-09-29 05:52:35

sologuitar

amnkb wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/YzIqVO3.jpeg

Let x = (3x - 2)

the line above is where you use "x" to mean 2 different things: the placeholder in the factorisation formula and also the variable from the original expression

taken literally it says

harpazo1965 wrote:

weird
what are you getting?

let formula be

you have

so plug in

Copy and paste to see my work and answer.

https://imgur.com/a/SARLc54

#6 2023-09-29 06:56:45

amnkb

harpazo1965 wrote:

...my work and answer.

TZdv1iQ.jpeg

looks good to me
also they both multiply out to the same thing

#7 2023-09-30 05:56:34

sologuitar

amnkb wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

...my work and answer.

https://i.imgur.com/TZdv1iQ.jpeg

looks good to me
also they both multiply out to the same thing

Did you post my picture?
I don't recall posting this picture.
My cell phone does not accept imgur for some strange reason.

Board footer