Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-16 07:29:09

iiooasd1217
Novice

Quantum Computers Breaking Computability

I figured this out around a year ago and was too lazy to make a paper. I thought I would post it here instead. Have fun with existential dread! cool

Alan Turing was one of the best minds in history. In his days he wrote a paper regarding the incompleteness theory. This theory said that maths was incomplete. Turing proved this with a thought experiment. Imagine an algorithm T(x) that would tell you if an algorithm, x, was complete (0 if incomplete 1 if complete). Now imagine an algorithm U(x) that always does the opposite result of T. When you put T(U)  you will get a paradox where T outputs both a 1 and a 0. That's impossible... Right?

NO!!!

Try this same problem with a quantum algorithm. What do you get? A working system! The system would have a qbit with a superposition between 1 and 0! Do quantum particles break maths?

Thank you for reading this sorta-rant. Enjoy your existential dread. Good luck! smile

I'll do a^2+b^2=c^2. I'll even do pir^2. But y=mx+b is where I draw the line.
Why do people become maths teachers? Because they have problems.

Board footer