Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-10 01:09:51

nycguitarguy

Difference Quotient of f

Find the difference quotient of f; that is, find

[f(x + h) - f(x)]/x, where h cannot be 0. Be sure to simplify.

f(x) = -3x + 1

This is my set up:

[-3(x + h) + 1 - (-3x +1)]/h

You say?

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#2 2024-03-10 01:28:44

Bob
Administrator

Re: Difference Quotient of f

OK.

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-10 01:54:07

KerimF

Could it be simplified?

#4 2024-03-10 11:53:05

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:

Could it be simplified?

Good question. I will try later at the job on my lunch break.

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#5 2024-03-11 01:43:41

nycguitarguy

KerimF wrote:

Could it be simplified?

f(x) = [-3(x + h) + 1 - (-3x +1)]/h

Numerator

-3x -3h + 1 + 3x - 1 = -3h

We now have:

f(x) = -3h/h

f(x) = -3

Yes, it can be simplified.

Note: If I plan to stay here, I gotta find out how to upload pictures. All this typing on my cell phone is driving me crazy.

Last edited by nycguitarguy (2024-03-11 01:44:58)

Dr. David Jeremiah

#6 2024-03-11 02:14:17

Bob
Administrator

-3 is correct.

Some have managed to get images here using a phone but it's not easy and others have failed.

When I joined, the old server allowed small image uploads*, but MIF had to switch to a new server with new rules and this image facility was one casualty. As much as possible I use a laptop and I have an Imgur account. It still takes a while but it works.

Bob

* That's how I got a gif as an avatar.  I couldn't repeat what I did now, but, oddly it still works with my account.

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#7 2024-03-11 18:09:50

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

-3 is correct.

Some have managed to get images here using a phone but it's not easy and others have failed.

When I joined, the old server allowed small image uploads*, but MIF had to switch to a new server with new rules and this image facility was one casualty. As much as possible I use a laptop and I have an Imgur account. It still takes a while but it works.

Bob

* That's how I got a gif as an avatar.  I couldn't repeat what I did now, but, oddly it still works with my account.

Yes but I don't want to get involved with Imgur. Laptop? Computer? I have no money to buy these things. I live the CHECK TO CHECK lifestyle, Bob. NYC is crazy expensive.

Dr. David Jeremiah

Board footer