Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-23 17:26:49

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Certainty Quotes - I

Certainty Quotes - I

1. Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. - Voltaire

2. A woman's guess is much more accurate than a man's certainty. - Rudyard Kipling

3. For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. - Vincent Van Gogh

4. To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it. - Bertrand Russell

5. Persuasion is achieved by the speaker's personal character when the speech is so spoken as to make us think him credible. We believe good men more fully and more readily than others: this is true generally whatever the question is, and absolutely true where exact certainty is impossible and opinions are divided. - Aristotle

6. Nobody knows the future with certainty. We can, however, identify ongoing patterns of change. - Alvin Toffler

7. If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts, but if he will content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties. - Francis Bacon

8. To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty & leave the rest for others that come after you. - Isaac Newton

9. It is far better to foresee even without certainty than not to foresee at all. - Henri Poincare

10. Inquiry is fatal to certainty. - Will Durant

11. Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance. - Bertrand Russell

12. Adventure upon all the tickets in the lottery, and you lose for certain; and the greater the number of your tickets the nearer your approach to this certainty. - Adam Smith.

vector-id1082031022.jpg

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer