Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-24 17:20:34

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Certainty Quotes - II

Certainty Quotes - II

1. Whether gods exist or not, there is no way to get absolute certainty about ethics. Without absolute certainty, what do we do? We do the best we can. - Richard Stallman

2. If we must not act save on a certainty, we ought not to act on religion, for it is not certain. But how many things we do on an uncertainty, sea voyages, battles! - Blaise Pascal

3. Probability is expectation founded upon partial knowledge. A perfect acquaintance with all the circumstances affecting the occurrence of an event would change expectation into certainty, and leave nether room nor demand for a theory of probabilities. - George Boole

4. Only a very bad theologian would confuse the certainty that follows revelation with the truths that are revealed. They are entirely different things. - Denis Diderot

5. If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom. - Lord Byron

6. The demand for certainty is one which is natural to man, but is nevertheless an intellectual vice. - Bertrand Russell

7. No great deed is done by falterers who ask for certainty. - George Eliot

8. In spite of the opinions of certain narrow-minded people, who would shut up the human race upon this globe, as within some magic circle it must never outstep, we shall one day travel to the moon, the planets, and the stars, with the same facility, rapidity, and certainty as we now make the voyage from Liverpool to New York! - Jules Verne

9. We regard it as a certainty that the earth, enclosed between poles, is bounded by a spherical surface. - Nicolaus Copernicus.

Certainty-Will-Search.jpg

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer