Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-12 19:15:23

Bob
Administrator

probability distribution questions

By swapnilmergal

I have moved your two posts together here in the Help Me section.  You had added them to a thread that had to be deleted as math spam.  Bob

(1)
given F(X)=k 2^-x is probability distribution  for a random variable that can take on the values x =0, 1,2, 3 and 4. Find k and the cumulative probability distribution F(x).

(2)
Let X and Y be two independent Gaussian random variables, both having mean 0, variance 1/4 and 1/9, respectively. Find the probability of P(3X >= 2Y)

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#2 2024-05-13 03:49:22

mathxyz

Re: probability distribution questions

Bob wrote:

By swapnilmergal

I have moved your two posts together here in the Help Me section.  You had added them to a thread that had to be deleted as math spam.  Bob

(1)
given F(X)=k 2^-x is probability distribution  for a random variable that can take on the values x =0, 1,2, 3 and 4. Find k and the cumulative probability distribution F(x).

(2)
Let X and Y be two independent Gaussian random variables, both having mean 0, variance 1/4 and 1/9, respectively. Find the probability of P(3X >= 2Y)

Bob,

Are you sure this person is not responsible for the recent indecent posts here?

Last edited by mathxyz (2024-05-13 03:50:19)

#3 2024-05-13 04:39:26

Bob
Administrator

I don't think so. As I've deleted the guest post I cannot check back now. The question poster may have just added to the most recent post.  I'll watch and await events. The two questions are legit. Not my favourite area so I'm hoping someone else will take up the challenge.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2024-05-13 04:49:48

mathxyz

Bob wrote:

I don't think so. As I've deleted the guest post I cannot check back now. The question poster may have just added to the most recent post.  I'll watch and await events. The two questions are legit. Not my favourite area so I'm hoping someone else will take up the challenge.

Bob

We don't want dirty topics in a math forum. I hope the person goes away. You see, misery loves company.

Board footer