Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-04 08:00:31

Devantè
Real Member

Hayfever

Well, the hayfever allergies are dying down. At least I can see and feel it has. Now that Summer has almost passed away (although over here we are still getting some nice weather), many people (including me) can get through life without any hayfever allergies. Hayfever can be a little annoying, especially during schoolwork and important things. Not only is it annoying, but it can prevent you from doing the things you want to do easily, without having to stop to blow your nose every few seconds and to cover your mouth when you sneeze.

Now, there are many ways of relieving yourself of hayfever. One good way is to keep yourself inside with all the windows closed, but this is not a good idea and you are advised not to during hot weather. There are syrups, tablets and nasal sprays - All of which I have tried and work well.

The syrups (non-drowsy at my preference) usually relieve my hayfever completely. I take them twice in the morning, and that will probably keep me going through the whole day. If I am near a lot of pollen or a lot of pollution, then it will probably wear down my slightest immunity of the stuff. But still, a good recommendation for you immense sufferers out there.

The tablets are also good - But not as effective as the syrups, as far as I know. Unless you are used to swallowing tablets, then they may at least help prevent your hayfever slightly. They are a bit expensive and do not work very well for me, so I advise you to not buy these, except if they seem to be working for you. And...well, sometimes they leave a terrible taste in your mouth for a few seconds, depending on the type of tablet you are taking.

Nasal sprays...well, they can be a little painful if you are not used to them. You will most definitely sneeze shortly after you inhale the nasal spray, and if you do not inhale it, it will shoot up your nostrils and drip back out again - A horrible feeling, sort of like breathing a lot of wwater through your nose while swimming.

So, can I relate to anyone here? What are your views and opinions on this, and how badly it effects the sufferers of hayfever? Have you been bothered by hayfever for too long?

Last edited for the purposes of placing a question mark in the text

Last edited by Devanté (2006-09-04 08:01:46)

#2 2006-09-04 09:52:39

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Hayfever

Very helpful, D.

For myself I am not sure if I am a hayfever sufferer or not ... occassionally I would wake up feeling "drained", and I would sit in the sun at breakfast half-awake not wanting to do anything. Then I thought "hey, it is always sunny when I feel like this". But then there were sunny days I felt fine. I am pretty sure now that the *wind* is the missing factor. And only from certain directions, and dry weather. So this seems to me that I may be getting affected by pollen or some such. I guess my next step is to get some medicine, wait for the symptoms, and pounce.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2006-09-04 18:23:36

Devantè
Real Member

Another thing is to make sure you take your medication as much as your prescription provider/doctor/label says. If you decide to take the medicine everyday and then switch to about once a day or only once every 2 days. You have to keep taking it, as long as the hot weather, pollen and pollution are still around.

That's more or less the reason I hate the Summer. For others it's a nice time, sitting in a sunny park in the shade with a nice cool drink in their hand, while hayfever sufferers just sit there with red eyes and start to panic because they are running out of tissue.

Sometimes it is certain plants and trees that cause it - Once you're close to it, you'll almost instantly start sneezing. Some people are allergic to some of the barks of trees. I think this is a form of hayfever, too. Sore throats don't really have anything to do with hayfever, but still, if anyone is having any problems with this, ask your doctor about it.

#4 2006-10-16 12:42:13

coolcat23

I always have allergys...... *ahhhhhhhhhhchoooooooooooo*

The world revolves around me. Deal with it. cool

#5 2006-10-16 23:50:29

justlookingforthemoment

Gesundheit!

#6 2006-10-17 07:55:43

coolcat23