Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-29 08:14:54

Roraborealis

On completing another orbit

Basically, my mind has been wiped and reconstructed, when I entered what I call the stages of life where one begins to mature. My eyes see only the future and the present now, and I can’t be trusted to look back on certain things. It wasn’t only until yesterday I found that something from the present meant to inform me you were all still here. I can’t believe you actually remembered me, actually have that thing that lets you look in all of those ways. Here I am, after completing another orbit of a period of time in my life without visiting this place – but what has that little leave given and taken from me? I bet when you clicked on the thread for this post before you read it, you were thinking, “Wow, I get to find out what this drifter of a member of MathsIsFun.com has got to say for herself. What has Rora been doing all this time? What has she got for us to spill?” Well, I’ve got heaps I can say, only I think that I’ve changed dramatically since I last left a message on here. How I say it might seem sort of….. different, to how I might have said it when we were all that little bit younger. I’ve in a way turned myself over completely, because I’m constantly thinking about my future nowadays.

School has been extremely demanding over the last year and a half. Thirteen and a half GCSEs are in progress, along with a BTEC course in Business Studies. The time I use keeping up with this does tend to leave me exhausted if I’m having a bad day. I couldn’t get used to that at the start, but I eventually learned to make myself be motivated, and hopefully it will be worth it in the end. Unfortunately, though, when things started getting a bit forceful, I had to break up the band I used to be in, and they couldn’t find anyone else to take up my role. I do see light on the horizon however, because I get to leave this year for a sixth form or college (I haven’t made my mind up yet), which I’m really looking forward to, wherever it may be. I want to do maths, biology, music, psychology and dance at A-Level – I think. English and Physics were considerations, but I don’t think I like either of those as much as the others.

I have a job, which I started last November. I work as a waitress in a resturant on Saturdays. I like it, but I wouldn’t do it forever. I only really do it for the money, heeheehee….which I put straight in the bank. I want to save for the future. Everyone says I’m a tight miseryguts, which I suppose I am, but I just like having tons of money behind me, because it makes me feel so secure. I definitely want to go to university (studying what, don’t ask me) but my old ambition of teaching maths there has changed. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do now, because I like so many subjects.

The highlight of 2006 for me, I think, was in October. I took part in a mathematical German exchange, at the Lessing-Gynasium school in Norderstedt; if you’re interested, you might want to find out what they have to say about it because my school couldn’t be bothered to mention it on their website. We had to stay with German hosts, who spoke amazingly hilarious English at times. Once, at breakfast, my partner’s dad was trying to tell me what they had on the table, and he said: “We have here, different breeds of bread.” Her mam was also quite funny, when she was explaining why she’d gone to the doctor’s, apparently it was because she had baggage (back ache). When I spoke German to them, though, sometimes they laughed at me, so it figures. There’s quite a long story to it all, but by the time I’ve finished I think the post will probably take up about five presses of the “Page Down” button to read.
  I also broke my arm twice in four months last year, both times doing the same thing. There was a good side to that, though, I never broke my dominant hand, so I could still write.

We’ve all done a lot since I left my last time gap behind me, and I’ve been all the while forgetting about what has already come and noticing only what is and has to. It seems to me as though nothing can distract me from what I want now, I can’t remember whatever happened yesterday, nor the day before, nor even the major things before that; I simply don’t have that quality in me anymore. But now, as I sit here, fingers jittering rapidly across this hard, grey keyboard, sitting in a cold room with my eyes glued on a screen watching myself freely and digitally ramble, something actually makes me aware that I’m feeling quite nostalgic, and weirdly younger, as I remember, being here again.

smile

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#2 2007-01-29 09:28:38

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: On completing another orbit

It ... is ... Rora!

What a great missive, let me read it again.

Meanwhile ... welcome back!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-01-29 09:37:18

Toast
Real Member

Welcome back Rora! I haven't met you before, but I've heard about you smile

Interesting passage there, you seem like a very interesting person. You are have a great style of writing too, it makes me feel nostalgic too, but I don't know why.

#4 2007-01-29 10:16:14

Patrick
Real Member

Very, very, very nicely written smile Welcome back, hope to see you around some more in the future smile

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#5 2007-01-29 18:24:48

MathsIsFun
Administrator

It is even nicer to read a second time. I am glad you took the time to write it Rora.

That must have been marvelous to spend some time studying in Germany. Becoming part of the real German life (even if for a short while) ... what differences did stand out for you? The course looks fascinating, too.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2007-01-29 21:53:43

justlookingforthemoment

Hey Rora. That was a great post.

Thanks for dropping by. It was fantastic to read about what you've been doing.

Roraborealis wrote:

It wasn’t only until yesterday I found that something from the present meant to inform me you were all still here.

What was that?

I bet when you clicked on the thread for this post before you read it, you were thinking, “Wow, I get to find out what this drifter of a member of MathsIsFun.com has got to say for herself. What has Rora been doing all this time? What has she got for us to spill?”

Well, I actually thought this was going to be about a planet ... until I saw who wrote it!

#7 2007-02-22 09:51:23

Zach

Yo.

I didn't read any of that, sum it up for me. big_smile

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

Board footer