Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-22 05:17:27

Sekky

Kneel Before Your God

Howdy, my name is Daniel Firth, I'm currently studying at Leeds University School of Mathematics, so what to say.

I like pretty much all kinds of math, although some stuff you'll see me partake in less than others (btw, I don't class statistics as mathematics smile)

I'm pretty proficient in the following, as I just passed them all

Linear and Module Algebra
Multivariable Calculus
Probability
Synthetic and Analytic Geometry

What am I studying currently? Well

Group Theory
Differential Equations (More Applied, Less Pure)
Real and Complex Analysis
Stats (aaaah)

And in my spare time:

Galois Theory
Topology
Vector Calculus
Differential Equations (More Pure, Less Applied)
Abstract Algebra (mainly Groups and Isomorphisms, but I like a little Ring theory to polish it off)

I hate synthetic geometry, so don't ask me about it, but I'm real hot at algebras: Set, Group, Ring, Field, Module theory ect, Calculus is sometimes pretty but I find it dull as a whole, which is why I moved on to Differential Equations, and I'm quite a fan of the analytic geometry associated with it. Analysis is pretty hit or miss with me, and everything else I'm still in the process of getting to grips with, so don't ask me to teach you Galois theory tongue

Anyway, check out my website, the StyleBucket http://www.stylebucket.co.uk. There's a decent bit of math up there which I'm looking on adding to, especially my primers section, so if anybody has any ideas for primers they'd like me to take a crack at, just let me know.

I really think this forum has great potential, and I hope I enjoy contributing here.

Dan

#2 2007-02-22 08:21:56

espeon
Real Member

Re: Kneel Before Your God

Hi Dan! Nice to know you appreciate and see potential in this website! Thanks for your generous and positive comment! Welcome to the forum and we hope you get to meet new friends and have fun here! Be sure to check out Help me if you're stuck and the members forum to find all sorts of news!

( I have absolutely no idea the stuff you were talking about lmao! I'm only 12 years old but i can still probably attempt at some parts. geometry shapes?)

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2007-02-22 08:26:22

Sekky

espeon wrote:

Hi Dan! Nice to know you appreciate and see potential in this website! Thanks for your generous and positive comment! Welcome to the forum and we hope you get to meet new friends and have fun here! Be sure to check out Help me if you're stuck and the members forum to find all sorts of news!

( I have absolutely no idea the stuff you were talking about lmao! I'm only 12 years old but i can still probably attempt at some parts. geometry shapes?)

You're never too young to challenge yourself! If you're interested in some higher level maths then maybe you can break down for me what you enjoy and what you're good at and I can maybe try and generalise it for you and point you to something you'll like even more.

#4 2007-02-22 08:27:51

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Welcome, Sekky! Impressive study list.

Had a look around your website ... I like your Flashmatics project.

And ... we noticed the "Nullity" story, too and talked about it here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5329

We have a wide community here (I like to think of it as a Village smile), so be prepared to enter all kinds of discussions from simple to advanced  to pure opinion.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2007-02-22 08:38:39

Sekky

MathsIsFun wrote:

Welcome, Sekky! Impressive study list.

Had a look around your website ... I like your Flashmatics project.

And ... we noticed the "Nullity" story, too and talked about it here: http://www.mathsisfun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5329

We have a wide community here (I like to think of it as a Village smile), so be prepared to enter all kinds of discussions from simple to advanced  to pure opinion.

Thanks! So you're a flash user?

Man seriously, nothing got to me more than that Nullity garbage. Ask delta, I was ranting about it for weeks, I just had to get a paper out there to discredit the guy.

I hope I can contribute something here, I've been wanting to get some papers out for a while I just never get sufficient motive, but a village full of peers would probably do the trick tongue

#6 2007-02-22 09:49:55

Zach

Why is the message about you, yet the subject is telling people to kneel before me?

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#7 2007-02-22 10:00:20

Sekky

Zach wrote:

Why is the message about you, yet the subject is telling people to kneel before me?

[ Improper content. This site is viewable for children of all ages, please attempt to be more subtle next time ]

[ Rewrite: Because you are of a position in which you are capable of pleasing yourself through flattery of your own ego ]

#8 2007-02-22 10:02:43

Zach

kthxsekky

#9 2007-02-22 10:29:21

espeon
Real Member

wow... Zach got told lol! GO SEKKY! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Anyway I like simple math so i dont have to do anything troublesome lol! i usually like coordinates,
algebra( thats not too advanced but i still can use it)
and probability.

MWAHAHAHAHA ZACH GOT TOLD! MAJOR MAJOR POPULARITY DROP!

sozzy thats really mean of me. Sekky he didnt really mean anything bad. Its just a joke within the speech. He's always like that ^_^ and thats why we all love him! ^_^. poor poor Zach. But then again knowing him he wont like pity ^_^

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 2007-02-22 10:41:03

Sekky

Well technically he's arguing with himself, but I'll take credit for it.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SEKKY

#11 2007-02-22 11:03:55

Zhylliolom
Real Member

I'd like to note that "Problem 1" on your website, although very slightly different than my statement, was introduced to Delta by me, which in turn was presented to me by a colleague. I just thought I'd tell you this since you state that you "feel obliged to ask" before posting problems.

Here is the thread:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5833

Also, if you haven't solved it yet, you probably never will unless in a hallucinogenic state or if intense insight strikes. I only know one other person who has solved it.

#12 2007-02-22 11:12:12

Sekky

Zhylliolom wrote:

I'd like to note that "Problem 1" on your website, although very slightly different than my statement, was introduced to Delta by me, which in turn was presented to me by a colleague. I just thought I'd tell you this since you state that you "feel obliged to ask" before posting problems.

Here is the thread:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5833

Also, if you haven't solved it yet, you probably never will unless in a hallucinogenic state or if intense insight strikes. I only know one other person who has solved it.

Well the comment I wrote underneath the problem sums up my theory, the function can't possibly be functional, although we could limit it.

Myself and a friend came up with the idea of having a ring whose set was the set of all functions, and whereby function composition was the additive operation (with an automorphic identity, obviously), such that IF we could prove that the group under addition contained an idempotent element (or that we could form a cyclic subgroup) we could find an element such that g is equal to its own inverse, so the problem is finding a monoid operation that distributes over function composition, which isn't easy.

I'd like to see a proof if I may.

#13 2007-02-22 11:59:35

Zach

Not really...

Firstly, his original attempt at retorting was completely terrible and improper, so I had to change that. I, however, wrote it out more subtly.

How that means I "got told" is beyond me.

#14 2007-02-22 12:04:42

Sekky

Zach wrote:

Not really...

Firstly, his original attempt at retorting was completely terrible and improper, so I had to change that. I, however, wrote it out more subtly.

How that means I "got told" is beyond me.

...not every piece of backchat is a flame war, you joked, I joked back, the explanation I gave was valid given the proposition.

man this place sure is hostile

#15 2007-02-22 13:28:11

mathsyperson

Don't let Zach give you that impression. We're generally a nice, likable bunch of wonderful people. Zach's fine as well once you get to know him, he just sometimes gives people bad first impressions.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#16 2007-02-22 15:50:25

MathsIsFun
Administrator

It certainly is not hostile. There is enough hostility in the world, we don't need it here. We tend to just moderate bad stuff out.

You are very welcome here.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#17 2007-02-22 16:15:47

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Sekky,
Its nice to have you as a member in this forum!
A big (although belated) Welcome!!!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#18 2007-02-22 17:31:58

Toast
Real Member

Welcome Sekky!!! big_smile

#19 2007-02-22 18:06:27

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Sekky wrote:

Thanks! So you're a flash user?

I use a product called SwishMax to make Flash (coz I like it's interface better). But it can't do AS3 sad

Interestingly I have recently improved my  Complex Number Calculator

I found the hardest part was (and still is) parsing the user input.

#20 2007-02-22 18:39:28

luca-deltodesco

MathsIsFun wrote:

I found the hardest part was (and still is) parsing the user input.

when i made my calculator couple of years ago, i can remember that about 400 lines of code was simply to figure out what the user had put into it, then another 400 odd lines parsing all possible syntax errors, and then another 400 odd lines of code splitting everything into an ordered set of operations on the memory that could then actually be run through to get the answer, and to plot the appropriate graph

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#21 2007-02-22 19:47:16

Zhylliolom
Real Member

Sekky wrote:

...a ring whose set was the set of all functions, and whereby function composition was the additive operation...

In a ring (R, +, ·), (R, +) is an Abelian group. However, function composition is in general not commutative. (Even if (R, +, ·) were a semiring, (R, +) would be a commutative monoid; we cannot escape the commutativity.)

#22 2007-02-22 19:59:58

Sekky

Zhylliolom wrote:
Sekky wrote:

...a ring whose set was the set of all functions, and whereby function composition was the additive operation...

In a ring (R, +, ·), (R, +) is an Abelian group. However, function composition is in general not commutative. (Even if (R, +, ·) were a semiring, (R, +) would be a commutative monoid; we cannot escape the commutativity.)

Oh yeah, (R,+) is Abelian....my mistake

So we try it in reverse, make function composition the multiplicative operation and find something over which is distributes, which is never going to happen.

#23 2007-02-24 02:20:06

soha
Real Member

Hi ,sekky
welcome to this great forum.

"Let us realize that: the privilege to work is a gift, the power to work is a blessing, the love of work is success!" smile smile
- David O. McKay

#24 2007-02-24 02:50:58

power man

hi

I hate people who hate people.
most people make mistakes, butt not me! smile smile
why     is     it     when     you     are     writing     something     important     you     run     out       of        spa

#25 2007-03-09 09:49:49

Sekky

Sekky wrote:
Zhylliolom wrote:
Sekky wrote:

Oh yeah, (R,+) is Abelian....my mistake

So we try it in reverse, make function composition the multiplicative operation and find something over which is distributes, which is never going to happen.

I'm still waiting for an answer to this

Board footer