Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-09 19:16:36

Ricky

Stricter requirements on new posters

A new member who has now been banned came on this board not more than a few minutes ago posting all sorts of vulgar spam.  I noticed he was posting as I was deleting his posts, so I banned him.  Then he signed up with an almost identical user name, and started posting again.  I realized at this point that if someone if savvy enough to change their IP, we are virtually powerless to stop them.

What I suggest is there be a time limit between posts for newer users (under 50 posts).  You can't make two posts within X minutes.  Also, it would be nice to be able to put the site on "lockdown".  That is, everything functions normally except that any new user request must first be approved by moderators/admin.  It would only be used in the situation I described above.

Are any of these feasible?  And what do you think about them?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#2 2007-07-09 19:36:33

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Stricter requirements on new posters

Sounds an excellent idea. Maybe a general "post frequency" limit.

I like "lockdown" too ... no guests or new members without prior permission.

Now ... how to implement?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-07-09 23:30:00

mathsyperson

I think we already have a time limit between posts, although it's only about 30 seconds or something. It might be good to extend it a bit more, but if we do then it should be measured between presses of the 'Submit' button.

Currently, the timer starts when you submit Post#1, and doesn't let you hit 'Post reply' until the time has finished. Changing it so that it stops you submitting instead would deter spammers just as much, but be less of an inconvenience for good posters, because their time limit would expire while they were typing.

I very much like the idea of the lockdown though. Was this member you banned actually changing their IP or did they just make you think of a hypothetical threat?

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-07-10 03:36:26

Ricky

His IP address changed.  From Tampa Florida to some place in Southern California.  That's how he was able to sign up for a new user even though his original ip address was banned.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2007-07-10 10:07:12

mikau

hmmm.. i just thought of a really slick way to side step this. Though its probably not possible.

If the user did not know he was banned, he wouldn't change his ip adress and get a new account. If you could some how make a users post invisible to all other users, except the user itself, he wouldn't know he was banned.

Only problem is the garbage posts would have to be saved in the database. But maybe the user would quickly get bored, leave, and you could delete them.

Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited by mikau (2007-07-10 10:07:52)

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#6 2007-07-10 10:18:31

mathsyperson

Haha, I love that idea. Very cunning indeed.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#7 2007-07-10 20:57:14

JaneFairfax

However, if they log out and no longer see their post, and only see them again when they log back in, they might suspect something fishy. 10.gif

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2007-07-10 21:24:56)

#8 2007-07-10 20:59:04

mikau

yeah, well we'll have to make sure that they CAN'T log out! (bars doors) wink

Last edited by mikau (2007-07-10 20:59:20)

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#9 2007-10-04 03:49:34

rida
Real Member

Ricky wrote:

That is, everything functions normally except that any new user request must first be approved by moderators/admin.  It would only be used in the situation I described above.

If we do that it might cause a bit of inconvenience for people who want to sign up.

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#10 2007-10-04 04:06:21

Ricky

If we do that it might cause a bit of inconvenience for people who want to sign up.

Yes, there is a cost.  But the gain is not having our forums trashed with spam.  Again, it would only be activated when it is really needed.

Board footer