Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-31 00:09:45

Daniel123

Quantum Physics

Hellooo

I'm writing an essay on the history of the structure of the atom, but I am limited to only 1500 words..

I want to mention Quantum physics.. but only very very briefly, as I am very close to my limit and I still have neutrons, quarks, gluons and all the later stuff to talk about.

The thing that makes this difficult is that I have never actually studied quantum physics... this essay is a preparation essay for AS physics next year...

I'm reading about it on wikipedia etc, and I'm just about managing to understand the concepts.. but I cannot summarize it into a paragraph! Could anyone help me? What are the main points I must mention?

thankkss smile

#2 2007-08-31 03:26:56

Ricky

Re: Quantum Physics

The main concept of quantum physics is that the universe functions on probabilities.  It's not that we don't have enough information to tell where something is.  Rather, an electron is neither at location A or B, but only has a probability of being at A or B.  This came up when studying the properties of an electron through the double slit experiment.  It was found that electrons behave the same way we expect light to, in waves.  Now when an electron orbits a nucleus, it has a wavelength.  It must be that this wave length divides the length of the orbit by an integer.

I would double check that, but I'm fairly certain it's correct.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2007-08-31 03:39:15

LQ
Real Member

Hey, Ricky!
Can it be determined backwards then?

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#4 2007-08-31 04:05:34

Ricky

Umm.. huh?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2007-08-31 04:29:39

Daniel123

Thanks Ricky, that fits in nicely with my word count smile

#6 2007-08-31 04:34:39

Identity

I had to write an essay on the same topic a few days ago as well. I think some really good references are 'A Brief History of Time', especially the illustrated version and of course Feynman's Lectures.

#7 2019-05-13 10:36:09

Alg Num Theory
Website

Poem about quantum mechanics (and general relativity):

Can light be photons – particles with size?
And can electrons sometimes act like waves?
The quantum world may be one big surprise –
But that’s how subatomic stuff behaves.
While Pauli, Bohr and Heisenberg might wonder
If Schrödinger’s cat is alive or dead,
The physics of large objects, though, comes under
General relativity instead.
And as the likes of Stephen Hawking bring
More hidden Nature’s laws out of the dark,
Is there a law that governs everything –
From massive black holes to the tiniest quark?
How might GR be merged with QED?
The search goes on for such a GUT.

http://speakforum.forumotion.com/t100-w … sonnet#932

Me, or the ugly man, whatever (3,3,6)

Board footer