Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-06 12:05:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

More Algebra Pages

I have been busy on Algebra, and have made a new Algebra Menu to accomodate these new pages:

nth Roots
Variables with Exponents - How to Multiply and Divide them

Polynomials
Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
Multiplying Polynomials
Conjugate
Rational Expression
Rationalize the Denominator

I would really value feedback, corrections or any discussion on these smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2007-11-06 18:43:35

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: More Algebra Pages

MathsIsFun,
Here is my opinion:-

BASICS :-
Introduction to Algebra, Balance when adding and subtracting, Introduction to Multiplication : Very neatly presented. The School kids would love them. The presentation is such that even one who has no exposure whatsoever to Basic Mathematics would be able to fully understand the fundamentals of Algebra!
Order of Operations :- BODMAS/PEMDAS : Very useful acronyms, a high school student to know that!
Equations and formulas :- The concept of variable and contant has been very neatly explained. Nice Images.
Basic Algebra Definitions : Neat explanations. Degree of a polynomial is missing! But for that, I think the list of definitions is almost exhaustive! Good work!

EXPONENETS:-
Exponents, Negative Exponents well expalined. I don't think the topic can be explained any better! Neat work!
quare Roots, Cube roots, and nth rots; Surds :- All well explained.
Fractional exponents : Everything what can be said about it isin the page. The graph is a bonus.
Laws of Exponents, Operations : Well expalined.

Algebra Expanding, removing the parantheses : Very good work, Lovely Animation, Extremely useful. Kids would love it. Teachers too would find this very helpful. If I were a teacher, I would use this page to explain the concepts. I personally loved the interactive operations.

Multiplying Negatives : The Rules explained with Buttons Neatly.
It is good thinking to use a number ray. good work.

Assocative Laws, Commutative Laws and Distributive Laws well explained.
I persoanlly feel the laws should have been placed first.
That is
For example:
Commutative Law of addition :- a+ b = b + a
All whole numbers, natural numbers, Rational Numbers, Integers, Irrational Numbers and Imaginary Numbers obey the law.
Commutative Law of Multiplication :- a x b = b x a.
eb. 3 x 6 = 18
6 x 3 = 18.
Therefore, positive numbers obey the commutative Law of Multiplication.

The laws have been very well explained. Additive Identity, Multiplicative Identity, Additive Inverse and Multiplicative Inverse could have been added on the page.

Cross Multiplication has been very well expalined with the images.

In all, Remarkable Work, MathIsFun! I love all the pages, and I guess so would the students and the teachers.cool

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2007-11-06 21:01:05

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks, Ganesh!

So ... put the laws up higher? Re-arrange the order of the laws?

Plus I can make a page(s) on Additive Identity, Multiplicative Identity, Additive Inverse and Multiplicative Inverse

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2007-11-11 17:35:41

gyanshrestha

algebra section is good menu.
what if there are the menu(section) with different levels (categorized with different levels) so that all users with different levels can easily post their problems and view and reply the sections.

(sorry for posting suggestion on this post)

(i am not good in English. sorry)

http://gyan.talkacademy.com.np

#5 2007-11-11 17:47:24

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

gyanashreshta,
Please don't feel sorry that your English is not good, or that you are posting in this section.

Your suggestions are expected to be posted here. I don't see any mistakes in your English language or spellings in this post.

Your suggestions are indeed, good. But, it is not possible to categorise age-wise in the indes page. This is becase all over the world, here are different levels of mathematics taught for different age groups. It is not uniform. What is taught in UK may not be exactly taught in US for the same age, same level. Similarly, what is taught in US may not be waht is taught in India or Japan for the same age. There lies the difficulty. However, your suggestion appears good. You can post different levels for your countries, naming that in the topic, in Exercies. Please mark the country name as it would help the students of that age of that particular country. Thanks.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer