Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-07 13:56:49

mikau

from Java to C++

Java is, in my opinion, a ridiculously easy language to learn. C++ on the otherhand, can be rather confusing for a while, and there are many more pitfalls and slight differences which are easy to overlook if you're used to using java.

But really the differences between C++ and java aren't that staggering in terms of essentials (am I not correct?)

what i'm thinking of doing is writing a short tutorial called C++ programming for java programmers. It would ignore all similarities and instead deal with the major differences. It would be a useful resource to me and perhaps other people.

note the tutorial would only assume you know java and teach you the essentials and not the whole of C++.

So what kinds of thing should I discuss? so far i intend to include:
• from reference variables to references and pointers
• from free store objects (always the case in java) to locally declared objects, pointers and references to objects, objects on the free store
• memory leaks
• arrays and strings
• multiple inheritance

any more suggestions?

Last edited by mikau (2007-12-07 13:58:07)

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2007-12-07 14:38:59

Ricky

Re: from Java to C++

Actually, I had a similar idea way back when.  However, it was for the reverse direction.  The idea was to write a book, or perhaps a series of books.  It would assume knowledge of C++ and then teach only differences in syntax and structure.  The idea is that once you know a language, it really only takes 2-3 hours to become familiar with another.

I don't have any suggestions as of now, but I'll think about it some.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2007-12-07 14:58:17

mikau

Re: from Java to C++

thanks, Ricky!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

Board footer