Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-24 06:42:29

navigotor

What is the geometrical meanning of exact sequence?

What is the geometrical meanning of exact(exact sequence)? Why it play such an important role in homology and many fields?

#2 2008-02-24 09:20:13

Ricky

Re: What is the geometrical meanning of exact sequence?

That's quite a hard question to answer.  If you're covering it for the first time in an algebra class, my advice is to just "go with it", pretend it's important, and learn why later.  But I need a little bit of your background information (age, classes taken, class your in, hair color, etc) before I could even attempt to answer it.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2008-02-25 10:14:53

navigotor

Thanks for reply,I am an undergraduate major in physics...You could answer the question from different level all together.assumming the low level,it may bring me understand the abstract concept deeper,and the high level,i will learn hard to catch the meanning henceforth.but i still wonder when hair color=black/brown/blonde then answer=? ...;-)

#4 2008-02-25 10:45:31

Ricky

I'm sorry, but that doesn't help me understand your situation any better.  Where exactly are you seeing an exact sequence pop up?  Are you studying topology?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-02-26 09:13:35

navigotor

Your conjecture is right...

Board footer