Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-28 12:30:43

LuisRodg
Real Member

Combinatorics and Permutations.

I had a test today on Logic, Mathematical Induction, Strong Induction, Structural Induction, Combinatorics and Permutations.

The test was canceled because there was a misunderstanding with the time and the proctor etc so it was postponed to next Friday.

I felt really comfortable in all the areas except Combinatorics and Permutations and now that I have an extra week to study, I'd like to improve in those areas.

I have read the Combinatorics/Permutations chapter twice and I have understood everything perfectly however, when given a problem somehow I just cant come up with the solution. It doesnt come to me. As in the past, this is solved with practice so right now as I type im doing every problem in the back of the chapter but im having trouble with all of them and I find myself having to look at the solutions manual.

Could anyone that is good at Combinatorics/Permutations offer some tips? Like, how to approach certain type of questions etc. My book seems to explain the general theory but doesnt go much further than that.

It'd really be helpful.

#2 2008-03-28 13:37:32

Ricky

Re: Combinatorics and Permutations.

There aren't very many tips when it comes to this.  Practice is the greatest tool you have.  But in general, if one method does work, keep switching the method you're using up.  Go from both sides of a question (i.e. equality).  Separate things out into smaller cases using mutually exclusive choices.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer