Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-12 16:17:11

rob meyer

who owned the fish?

Who Owned The Fish ? They Never Gave The Answer. I Say The German In The Green House Who Drinks Coffee, And Plays Soccer.  Please Help.

#2 2008-04-12 16:23:04

LuisRodg
Real Member

Re: who owned the fish?

It is the german.

#3 2008-05-21 15:55:45

Albert

Nope that is the wrong answer.  The reason why only 2% of the population can work out the CORRECT answer is because many people state that the answer is the German.  This is not the correct answer.  Good luck.

#4 2008-08-19 16:47:01

Reznor

Ummm, you're a loser. If you're smarter than 98% of the population, state one sentence from the clues given that proves it's not the German's fish.

#5 2008-08-19 23:07:28

mathsyperson

Albert posted that about 3 months ago, so you probably won't get a reply from him.

I think what Albert is getting at, though, is that since the fish is only ever mentioned in the question, and not in any of the clues or the introduction, you can't guarantee that any of the 5 people own it. Certainly none of the four other mentioned people do, but it's entirely possible that the German has a stick insect and the fish is owned by the little girl who lives eight doors down.

Basically, the correct answer should strictly be "I don't know".

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2008-08-21 04:54:42

tobi's a good boy

?

#7 2008-11-03 12:35:05

Jacobius

It was the brit who owned the fish... heres my table and it follows every single rule.

House #                1              2          3              4              5
House Color    Yellow    Blue         white        Green         Red
Country         Norwegian    Danish   Swedish   German        British
Drink                Water         Tea        milk        Coffee          Beer
Sport             Hockey      baseball   polo        Soccer        Billiards
Pet                      Cats    horses     Dogs          Bird       THE FISH!!!!
smile And there you are!

#8 2008-11-03 12:39:41

Jacobius

OHH! and guess what i just found out, this guy posted the problem differently than the original problem. So those of you who went on the internet to find out, you were looking at the wrong problem. tongue In this problem the British man owns the fish. In the real version, the German Man owns the fish. up

#9 2008-11-21 06:00:02

amrutha

Actually the answer depends on the way we take the order for the clue "Green house is on left of White house". As far as i know we should always consider the way we see the paper ie. Green and the White is the order. then the answer is German.
If we take the order as White and Green i.e here we are looking out from the paper. then the answer is British

But I think we always need to take the order as we see the paper , so i think the answer is German smile

#10 2009-02-17 21:18:09

ASD

I feel what Amrutha say is right regarding the order of  the houses and the answer should be German smile

Board footer