Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#6976 2021-01-17 00:03:12

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: General Quiz

Hi,

#7759. Name the term in astronomy : A measure of the proportion of the total solar radiation received by an astronomical body, such as a planet, that is diffusely reflected away from the body. It is a dimensionless quantity typically measured on a scale from 0 (indicating total absorption of all incident radiation, as by a black body) to 1 (indicating total reflection). It is reported for an astronomical body may vary widely by the spectral and angular distribution of the incident radiation, by the "layer" of the body being measured (e.g. upper atmosphere versus surface), and by local variation within these layers (e.g. cloud cover and geological or environmental surface features).

#7760. Name the term in astronomy : The point at which a body orbiting the Earth's Sun is furthest from the Sun.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6977 2021-01-18 00:05:03

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7761. Name the term in areas of mathematics : usually this refer to the study of geometry using a coordinate system (also known as Cartesian geometry). Alternatively it can refer to the geometry of analytic varieties. In this respect it is essentially equivalent to real and complex algebraic geometry.

#7762. Name the term in areas of mathematics :  a combination of various parts of mathematics that concern a variety of mathematical methods that can be applied to practical and theoretical problems. Typically the methods used are for science, engineering, finance, economics and logistics.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6978 2021-01-20 00:13:19

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7763. Name the term in areas of mathematics:  the discipline that applies mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk in insurance, finance and other industries and professions. More generally, actuaries apply rigorous mathematics to model matters of uncertainty.

#7764. Name the term in areas of mathematics: the study of systems of axioms in a context relevant to set theory and mathematical logic.

#6979 2021-01-22 00:12:09

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7765. Name the term in geography : A volcano that is currently erupting, or one that has erupted within the last 10,000 years (the Holocene) or during recorded history.

#7766. Name the term in geography : Any pair of points on the Earth's surface that are diametrically opposite to each other, such that a straight line connecting them would pass through the Earth's center. Such points are as far away from each other as possible, with the great-circle distance between them being approximately 20,000 kilometres (12,000 mi).

#6980 2021-01-23 00:14:15

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7767. Name the term in geography : The northernmost of the Earth's two polar circles of latitude, north of which the sun appears above the horizon for 24 continuous hours at least once per year (and is therefore visible at midnight) and also appears at least partially below the horizon for 24 continuous hours at least once per year (and is therefore not fully visible at noon). Its latitude is approximately 66°33′47.1″ north of the Equator.

#7768. Name the term in geography : Fragments of lava or rock less than 1⁄3 centimetre (0.13 in) in diameter that have been ejected into the atmosphere by a volcanic explosion.

#6981 2021-01-25 00:03:09

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7769. Name the term in geography : The angle formed between a reference vector (often magnetic north) and a line from the observer to a point of interest projected perpendicularly to the zenith on the same plane as the reference vector. It is usually measured in degrees and can be determined with a compass.

#7770. Name the term in geography : The solid rock in the Earth's crust that underlies all soil and other loose material; the rock material that breaks down eventually to form soil.

#6982 2021-01-27 00:03:51

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7771. Name the term in geography : The study of the distribution of biological species and ecosystems in geographic space and through geological time.

#7772. Name the term in geography : The realm of all living things.

#6983 2021-01-29 00:13:30

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7773. Name the term in geography : A map in which some thematic mapping variable, such as travel time, population, or gross national product, is substituted for traditional measures of land area or distance such that the geometry or space of the map is distorted in order to convey and emphasize the information of the alternate variable.

#7774. Name the term in geography : A map showing the distribution of a phenomenon by graded shading which indicates the density per unit area of that phenomenon; the darker the shading, the greater the density.

#6984 2021-01-31 00:10:52

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7775. Name the term in botany : The shedding of an organ that is mature or aged, as of a ripe fruit or an old leaf.

#7776. Name the term in botany : Having no apparent stem, or at least none visible above the ground surface. Examples include some species of Agave, Oxalis, and Attalea. Antonym of caulescent (possessing stem).

#6985 2021-02-02 00:03:55

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7777. Name the term in botany : Increasing in size with age, such as a calyx that continues to grow after the corolla has fallen, e.g. in Physalis peruviana.

#7778. Name the term in botany : A dry, one-seeded indehiscent fruit in which the true fruit is not the so-called "berry", but the achenes, which are the so-called "seeds" on the infructescence, e.g. in the genus Fragaria.

#6986 2021-02-04 00:14:28

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7779. Name the botanical term : A connection or fusion of two or more veins that are normally diverging or branching, thereby forming a network.

#7780.Name the botanical term : (of an ovule) Inverted so that the micropyle faces the placenta (this is the most common ovule orientation in flowering plants). Contrast amphitropous, campylotropous, and orthotropous.

#6987 2021-02-06 00:12:40

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7781. Name the botanical term : A collective name for the male reproductive parts of a flower; the stamens of a flower considered collectively.

#7782. Name the botanical term : Having male and female flowers in the same inflorescence.

#6988 2021-02-08 00:08:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7783. What does the term 'Angiology' mean?

#7784. What does the term 'Apiology' mean?

#6989 2021-02-10 00:04:32

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7785. Name the term in astronomy : A measure of the brightness of a celestial body as seen by an observer on Earth, adjusted to the value it would have in the absence of the atmosphere. The brighter the object appears, the lower its magnitude.

#7786. Name the term in astronomy : The branch of astronomy that involves precise measurements of the positions and movements of stars and other celestial bodies.

#6990 2021-02-12 00:09:00

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7787. Name the term in biology : An organic compound derived from adenine that functions as the major source of energy for chemical reactions inside living cells. It is found in all forms of life and is often referred to as the "molecular currency" of intracellular energy transfer.

#7788. Name the term in biology : A class of organic compounds containing an amine group and a carboxylic acid group which function as the fundamental building blocks of proteins and play important roles in many other biochemical processes.

#6991 2021-02-14 00:05:06

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7789. Name the term in biology : A type of antimicrobial drug used in the treatment and prevention of bacterial infections.

#7790. Name the term in biology : An organism capable of producing complex organic compounds from simple substances present in its surroundings, generally by using energy from sunlight (as in photosynthesis) or from inorganic chemical reactions (as in chemosynthesis). They do not need to consume another living organism in order to obtain energy or organic carbon, as opposed to their antonyms.

#6992 2021-02-16 00:08:25

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7791. Name the term in biology : An enormous and diverse clade of microscopic, prokaryotic, single-celled organisms which lack a true nucleus. They represent one of the three fundamental biological domains.

#7792. Name the term in biology : A dark green to yellowish-brown fluid, produced by the liver of most vertebrates, which aids the digestion of lipids in the small intestine. Also called gall.

#6993 2021-02-18 00:04:06

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7793. Name the term in biology : The process by which one prokaryotic cell divides into two identical daughter cells.

#7794. Name the term in biology : A formal system of classifying species of living things by giving each a name composed of two parts, both of which use Latin grammatical forms, although they can be based on words from other languages.

#6994 2021-02-20 00:08:34

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7795. Name the term/phrase/principle in physics : A physical principle which states that the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and acts in the upward direction at the center of mass of the displaced fluid.

#7796. Name the term/law/principle in physics : A physical law which states that volumes of gases which are equal to each other at the same temperature and pressure will contain equal numbers of molecules.

#6995 2021-02-22 00:05:17

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7797. Name the term/phrase in physics : In atomic physics, one of a set of six named series describing the spectral line emissions of the hydrogen atom. It is calculated using the formula, an empirical equation discovered in 1885.

#7798. Name the term/phrase/law/principle in physics : In fluid dynamics, a principle which states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy.

#6996 2021-02-24 00:01:47

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7799. Name the term in physics : A high-energy, high-speed electron or positron emitted by certain types of radioactive atomic nuclei.

#7800. Name the term in physics : The prevailing cosmological model that describes the early development of the Universe.

#6997 2021-02-26 00:12:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7801. Name the term in physics : The mechanical energy required to disassemble a whole into separate parts. A bound system typically has a lower potential energy than the sum of its constituent parts.

#7802. Name the term in physics : The temperature at which a liquid undergoes a phase change into a gas; the vapour pressure of liquid and gas are equal at this temperature.

#6998 2021-02-28 00:19:12

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7803. Name the term in geography : Any vertical or nearly vertical rock exposure, usually formed by the processes of weathering and erosion.

#7804. Name the term in geography : An instrument used for navigation and orientation that indicates direction relative to the geographic cardinal directions by measuring the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field with respect to the North Magnetic Pole.

#6999 2021-03-02 00:02:25

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7805. Name the term in geography : The place at which two or more rivers or other watercourses flow together to form one larger river or watercourse.

#7806. Name the term in geography : A line marked on a topographic map which connects points of equal elevation above or below a specified reference datum. Multiple  lines, each representing a different elevation, are depicted together to show the shape of the terrain within the map area. Also isoline or isopleth.

#7000 2021-03-04 00:17:52

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

#7807. Name the term in geography : An extensive urban area formed when two or more initially separate cities coalesce to form a continuous metropolitan area.

#7808. Name the term in geography : The process of mechanical erosion of the Earth's surface by the impact or grinding action of particles being transported across it, either by moving water, waves, glaciers, wind, or gravity.

Board footer