Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

Login

Username

Password

Not registered yet?

#1 2012-10-09 07:56:08

MathsIsFun
Administrator

New Puzzles 6

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2012-10-09 09:06:13

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: New Puzzles 6

Hi MIF

I found these slightly harder than the ones before, but still very nice.

For the "What is the pattern" puzzle it couldn't actually be stated that Stephen is the author. It is a well and long known one. Look-and-say Sequence

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#3 2012-10-09 12:03:34

bobbym
Administrator

Hi MathsIsFun;

Very nice puzzles. My favorite is "broken stick."

"Cards in a square," is a mutually orthogonal Latin square. These are pretty widely known with many open questions.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
I have the result, but I do not yet know how to get it.
All physicists, and a good many quite respectable mathematicians are contemptuous about proof.

#4 2012-10-09 15:58:30

MathsIsFun
Administrator

anonimnystefy wrote:

For the "What is the pattern" puzzle it couldn't actually be stated that Stephen is the author. It is a well and long known one. Look-and-say Sequence

Good point. I have just put him as Author for all these new puzzles, there may be others that are mis-cited.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2012-10-09 18:43:32

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Most of the others look original.

The limit operator is just an excuse for doing something you know you can't.
“It's the subject that nobody knows anything about that we can all talk about!” ― Richard Feynman
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#6 2012-10-17 08:53:20

ShivamS

Nice puzzles. Love broken sticks.

I have discovered a truly marvellous signature, which this margin is too narrow to contain. -Fermat
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. -Archimedes
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them. - Neumann

#7 2012-10-19 12:37:44

jennylee1203

Very nice puzzles.

Board footer