Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-03 16:26:47

xepher0coded

A little circles shenanigans

Hey guys, so I like circles. I like them a lot. I also like that little game called Minecraft. The one with squares? Ya, that one. one small problem though:
Circles aren't squares
So, I developed my own little way of creating circles that goes a little like this:
start at the farthest end of 1 edge of where the circle will be, and place adjacent blocks to determine the size of the circle; let's say 3.

[][][]

Now, continue around to either side, place 2 sets of adjacent blocks with one less block in each set than before, so we'll do 2 rows of 2.

[][][]
    [][]      [][]
[][]              [][]

Repeat the last prossess and make 3 sets of groups with still one less than before, so 3 rows of 1
               [][][]
           [][]      [][]
      [][]                [][]
    []                         []
  []                             []
[]                                 []

now that we've gone as low as we can go on the sets, we begin rising again turned sideways, the final result looking something like this:

flickr dot com/photos/99777015@N05/9431328185/

So ya, I figured out earlier today how to get the diameter for one of these things (I too lazy to write it now) but I wanna know what kind of formulas you guys can think of. Area? Circumference? idk, but it seems interesting to me. Let me know what you come up with

PS- If anyone knows of a better way to make circles in mine craft, let me know that too.

PPS- This is my first time posting on the forum so sorry if characters are weird tongue

Board footer