Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-09 06:16:57

thinkdesigns

need help with calculus

need some help with calculus, if someone can just post some SIMPLE questions that don't involve too tough numbers and work on minimums and maximums, and post some explanation on other uses of calculus i would be v grateful, btw, when i say simple, don't go looking in a university book, if u do A level maths, just pick the easiest ones.

#2 2005-12-09 07:56:24

irspow

Re: need help with calculus

Hi, Thinkdesigns.  Calculus is basically just the study of rates of change.  If you always keep that basic definition in the back of your head you should never become overwhelmed by the breadth of the subject.

Anyway, you asked for some simple questions related to maximums and minimums.

1)  If y = 4x - x^2  then find the maximum value of y and for what value of x does this value occur?

2) If y = x^2 - 6x + 10, determine if there is a local extrema and at what point it occurs.

3) If y = 10x + 1, determine if there is a local extrema and at what point it occurs.

Those are a couple of the most basic types of minimum/maximum problems. If you want tougher examples or want a question answered go to the "Help Me!" thread.

Last edited by irspow (2005-12-09 09:38:23)

I am at an age where I have forgotten more than I remember, but I still pretend to know it all.

Board footer