Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 21:24:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Girls just as good at mathematics as boys

It is just that girls have less confidence in the subject, according to this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 112303.htm

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2010-01-05 22:08:55

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: Girls just as good at mathematics as boys

Hi MathsisFun;

Very good link. There is another link on that page describing womens failure to succeed. Isn't there something paradoxical about "failure to succeed." Aren't they now a success at being a failure? Let's forget that for now.

The picture clearly shows a student fumbling in an electronics class, She looks more confused than someone with 3 left hands. She is not working through a trig problem. The problem is working on her.

Overconfidence is a tremendous handicap but lack of confidence is death.

He is able who thinks he is able.

Implying that lack of confidence is a small matter is foolish. If that is the problem and I don't think it is, then saying they just need to be given some pep talk is like saying if my car were 120 mph faster and my reflexes were twice what they are, then I would win Daytona too.

I have been listening to psychology and the school system saying that there is a gap since the early 70's. The question is what have they done about it ?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#3 2010-06-02 09:28:22

loganlambe1155

Well i think that boys are far better than girls when it comes to mathematics because boys are quick and girls are good in cramming hahahaha. girls would fit in subjects related to arts.

#4 2010-06-02 16:38:53

Identity

loganlambe1155 wrote:

Well i think that boys are far better than girls when it comes to mathematics because boys are quick and girls are good in cramming hahahaha. girls would fit in subjects related to arts.

To the contrary, I think boys cram FAR more than girls. I think girls have a bit of a reputation for being organised, while boys have a reputation for being lazy (and I am a prime example).

I think that, as wonderful as mathematics is, it is viewed by many as a 'lazy subject'. At least, at my university, with other science subjects you have heaps of experiments and extra stuff you have to do, whereas in mathematics you just need to do assignments.

#5 2010-06-02 16:53:26

bobbym
bumpkin

I agree that men do more cramming. Seem to be capable of more?! You have to have great confidence in your abilities to leave everything for the last night and still believe you can do that. The whole course in one night, maybe two courses in one night. definitely not for the timid.

But loganlambe1155 has led us away from the central point, Girls have less confidence about math.

#6 2010-06-07 04:20:40

KrazyKyngeKorny

MathsIsFun wrote:

It is just that girls have less confidence in the subject, according to this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 112303.htm

Actually, women, in general, are smarter than men. However, men have beaten them down for centuries, and they think they have to be "dumb" to please men. IOW, the fault is NOT theirs. It is YOURS.

WOMEN ARE SMARTER THAN YOU, SIR.

#7 2010-06-07 05:08:50

bobbym
bumpkin

I have never heard anyone say, "you know in all honesty, it's probably a tie." Why must some gender have the edge? In the past everyone polled always said men are smarter. Now in some sort of overreaction to that, everyone says women are smarter. Neither opinion seems correct.

The title says "Girls just as good as boys," no edge is implied. Isn't that the opinion that will certainly cause less violence. Remember, Tycho Brahe? He lost his nose in a duel over who was the better mathematician. Now if he and his opponent had the saner view of equality , that man would have kept his nose. And you don't want to know what happened to the opponent.

#8 2019-12-23 17:24:34

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

bobbym wrote:

I have never heard anyone say, "you know in all honesty, it's probably a tie." Why must some gender have the edge? In the past everyone polled always said men are smarter. Now in some sort of overreaction to that, everyone says women are smarter. Neither opinion seems correct.

The title says "Girls just as good as boys," no edge is implied. Isn't that the opinion that will certainly cause less violence. Remember, Tycho Brahe? He lost his nose in a duel over who was the better mathematician. Now if he and his opponent had the saner view of equality , that man would have kept his nose. And you don't want to know what happened to the opponent.

Tycho Brahe (14 December 1546 – 24 October 1601) was a Danish nobleman, astronomer, and writer known for his accurate and comprehensive astronomical observations. He was born in the then Danish peninsula of Scania. Tycho was well known in his lifetime as an astronomer, astrologer, and alchemist. He has been described as "the first competent mind in modern astronomy to feel ardently the passion for exact empirical facts." Most of his observations were more accurate than the best available observations at the time.

In 1566, Tycho left to study at the University of Rostock. Here, he studied with professors of medicine at the university's famous medical school, and became interested in medical alchemy and botanical medicine. On 29 December 1566 at the age of 20, Tycho lost part of his nose in a sword duel with a fellow Danish nobleman, his third cousin Manderup Parsberg. The two had drunkenly quarreled over who was the superior mathematician at an engagement party at the home of Professor Lucas Bachmeister on the 10th of December. Coming nearly to quarrel again with his cousin on December 29th, they ended up resolving their feud with a duel in the dark. Though the two were later reconciled, the duel resulted in Tycho losing the bridge of his nose, and gaining a broad scar across his forehead. He received the best possible care at the university, and wore a prosthetic nose for the rest of his life. It was kept in place with paste or glue, and said to be made of silver and gold. In November 2012, Danish and Czech researchers reported that the prosthetic was actually made out of brass after chemically analyzing a small bone sample from the nose from the body exhumed in 2010. The prosthetics made of gold and silver were mostly worn for special occasions, rather than everyday wear.

UNICEF (United Nations International Children's Emergency) says gender equality "means that women and men, and girls and boys, enjoy the same rights, resources, opportunities and protections. It does not require that girls and boys, or women and men, be the same, or that they be treated exactly alike."

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer