Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-09 07:16:10

Patrick
Real Member

This is not cool, but sad!

http://www.snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

Read it. I really hope that the law got reversed or something. The reasoning that teaching children illogical things as "irrational numbers" or "imaginary numbers" is just embarrassing for the people who voted for the person. Clearly the 'daily' use of the words irrational and imaginary does not apply here. Sad...

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#2 2007-08-09 09:27:26

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: This is not cool, but sad!

I suspect that snopes got that wrong.

Funny read though: The bill, which cleared the Mississippi Senate by a vote of "a lot" to "a little" ...

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-08-09 09:39:30

luca-deltodesco

if that is true, that has got to be the most retarded thing i have ever heard, jesus christ if that is true i would be disgraced to be associated with that state.

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#4 2007-08-09 11:09:13

Patrick
Real Member

Can't believe I didn't check the source ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoknapatawpha_County

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#5 2007-09-10 01:47:05

landof+

Fake, totally fake, fake and fake!

I shall be on leave until I say so...

#6 2007-09-10 03:52:02

Ricky

Patrick, for assuming the story is true, you are wrong.  MathsIsFun, for saying that Snopes got the story wrong, you are also wrong.

How can the both of you be wrong at the same time?  The answer lies in the context of the article.  If you look at the Lost section in which the article lies in, you'll see that the article in question is a true legend.  Why Snopes did this... I have no idea.

But the rather hilarious part requires a bit more researching yet.  I too, did not at first see that it was in the Lost Legend section.  So I went searching through the Snopes forum to see if there were any comments on this.  And of course, I found some.  The user, "Snopes" (not in any way affiliated with the site) goes on for 6 pages making complaint after complaint about how the articles in the Lost section are false.  People try over and over again to explain the purpose of the Lost section, but it appears as if "Snopes" does not read a single word they say.  I've got to hand it to them, if I were posting on the Snopes forum, I would have become rather ill-tempered by the 3rd page.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

Board footer