Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-23 19:30:00

mikau

Mikau's Introduction

[Mikau: Your intro is not lost, I had it in my browser's cache!  -MathsIsFun]

Hi, I'm mike. But you can call me Mikau.

I was homeschooled by my mother who didn't know much about math beyond 9th grade level. My dad was in advanced placement math when he was in school but he was too busy to teach me any advanced math, so I really didn't learn any high school math.

Mid spring of this year, I realized since I was 18 it was time for me to choose a career, I decided I'd like to be a video game programmer, since I'm fond of games, computers and thought it would be neat to program since I like creativity and rational thinking. However I was dismayed to find that all courses required above all else, math skills. Now I had never done even algebra 1. Not even algebra 1/2! But I wasn't going to let that stop me.

I asked my dad to teach my a lesson of algebra every day after he was done work and he said ok, but that was just too slow. I had to know high school math and I had to know it fast. So I began studying it on myself. I found if I read carefully, slowly and payed close attention to what was happening, it wasn't hard to teach myself. So I began studying relentlessly, doing 3 lessons a day which takes about 4 to 5 hours. (about an hour to study the lesson and an hour each of practice problems) my text books are 120 lessons each meant to be spread out over an entire school year, so I finish about a years worth of work in 40 days. Unfortunatle, mid summer I had a bit of a delay obtaining the next text book and I lost a painfull bit of time on that.

Anyways, I've now completed Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and I will be done trigonometry in 2 weeks. :-D man... its hard to believe only a year ago I didn't even know algebra 1!

Next month I start calculus. After that, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. There are some books on math for 3d game programmers that involve physics and 3D projection geometry, which are my main goals in my study. But I could also take calculus 2...

I got stuck on a problem on the normal curve the other day and went searching to see if their were any math message boards where I could ask for help, and thats how I found this place.

big_smile

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2005-08-23 22:43:33

wcy

Re: Mikau's Introduction

don't worry, it is never too late to learn maths

#3 2005-08-24 04:21:29

ryos

I was (am) in a similar spot. I left High School midway through my Junior year to do the homeschool thing. Math was the subject that got neglected; I just couldn't find a decent book on the subject.

This book was written a few years later. Since I'm preparing to take a college-level calculus course this next semester, I felt I needed some exposure to the subject before diving in, and this book has done the job well for me so far.

Good luck with your ambitions!

El que pega primero pega dos veces.

#4 2005-08-24 18:35:02

insomnia
Real Member

I'm sure I posted on here, after the hacker obviously. Did some moderator come and mod?

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#5 2005-08-24 19:20:47

justlookingforthemoment

What did you say?

Nice avatar, ryos!

#6 2005-08-24 20:04:54

MathsIsFun
Administrator

insomnia wrote:

I'm sure I posted on here, after the hacker obviously. Did some moderator come and mod?

I did some tweaking to the first post so it became a "mikau" post. Then your comment looked out of place. That's all, just neatening up.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2005-08-24 21:22:10

insomnia
Real Member

I said something like:

"Don't worry Mathsisfun (Rod) we will help you!!"

Or, something along those lines.

BTW, I knew it was Mikau's post

Last edited by insomnia (2005-08-24 21:22:28)

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

#8 2005-08-27 04:14:23

mikau

wow! Thanks mathisfun!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

Board footer