Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 23:05:33

JesseVoss1

Modern Algebra Symbols

Hi,

I have noticed that there are some symbols that are used in Modern (abstract) Algebra, that aren't necessarily listed in the math reference. "oplus", indicating a direct product between 2 groups, is one such example. I would like to track down a few others.
My most pressing need, is the sign for "is isomorphic to". (a tilde above an equal sign) How do I make this?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=93851
[Advertisement removed]

Thanks!

#2 2021-03-20 09:42:23

wim

Re: Modern Algebra Symbols

You have probably solved the problem by now.

Its the geometric symbol for congruent too , and not in open office function editor, which calls the equivalance symbol congruent .

The best stop gap solution would be to screen shot your formula and edit in a photoshop type editor.

I use gimp which is a free editor and just as powerful .

If you then search Google images for ' congruent symbol ' you can copy the one you prefer to your clipboard and paste it in.

There are a lot of formula editors on the market all have limitations but you are using the best of the bunch I think.

Phe φ foe fum a Giant Irrational for every 1 . Eye , jay  and  kay , know I'm  here to stay.The
Beanstalk is Fibonacci we must all surely  C. What you say fool ? Eh Wot just Maths is Beautifool.
It blows your mind every correspondence U find.

Board footer