Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-17 19:00:15

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

The Hundredth Monkey

The Hundredth Monkey
by Ken Keyes, jr.
The Japanese monkey, Macaca fuscata, had been observed in the wild for a period of over 30 years.

In 1952, on the island of Koshima, scientists were providing monkeys with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkeys liked the taste of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant.

An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem by washing the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught their mothers too.

This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys before the eyes of the scientists.

Between 1952 and 1958 all the young monkeys learned to wash the sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable.

Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes.

Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes -- the exact number is not known.

Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99 monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet potatoes.

Let's further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey learned to wash potatoes.

THEN IT HAPPENED!

By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet potatoes before eating them.

The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an ideological breakthrough!

But notice.

A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea --

Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes.

Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new awareness may be communicated from mind to mind.

Although the exact number may vary, this Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way, it may remain the conscious property of these people.

But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is picked up by almost everyone!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2019-12-19 19:02:58

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: The Hundredth Monkey

That's kinda scary if sometime later they started being sentient and build weapons.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#3 2019-12-19 20:08:11

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:

That's kinda scary if sometime later they started being sentient and build weapons.

Hope that doesn't happen!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2019-12-19 20:15:24

Monox D. I-Fly

ganesh wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:

Hope that doesn't happen!

Amen!

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#5 2019-12-19 21:06:34

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

The Hundredth Monkey Effect:

The idea that once a critical number of members copy a behavior or follow an idea, it will be taken on by all en-masse, automatically.
1952 — Koshima Island, Japan.

Japanese scientists started a study on native Macaque monkeys. Providing food in open places, the monkeys began to develop new behaviors in response:

During 1952 and 1953 the primatologists began “provisioning” the troops — providing them with such foods as sweet potatoes and wheat. The food was left in open areas, often on beaches. As a result of this new economy, the monkeys developed several innovative forms of behavior.

One of these was invented in 1953 by an 18-month-old female that the observers named “Imo.” Imo was a member of the troop on Koshima island. She discovered that sand and grit could be removed from the sweet potatoes by washing them in a stream or in the ocean. Imo’s playmates and her mother learned this trick from Imo, and it soon spread to other members of the troop. Unlike most food customs, this innovation was learned by older monkeys from younger ones. In most other matters the children learn from their parents.

The potato-washing habit spread gradually, according to Watson, up until 1958. but in the fall on 1958 a remarkable event occurred on Koshima. This event formed the basis of the “Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon.” — Ron Amundson; Skeptical Inquirer vol. 9, 1985, 348–356.

According to the documentation, once a critical number of monkeys had learned the behavior — and not before — all monkeys copied the same behavior. Suddenly there were monkeys on other islands that, as if by magic, had started washing their sweet potatoes too.

Unfortunately, this story and it’s papers have been refuted and discredited as unreliable evidence.

But the phenomenon lives on.

New Age / Cult Customs

Many cults and new-age groups thrive on the idea that the next recruit might be the ‘100th Monkey’. The person to convert everyone automatically. But when you’re basing that effect on a highly disputed study from 60-something years ago — it’s…well, unlikely.

Unless I missed something from my research (and that is likely).

Ken Keyes Jr

Author of ‘The Hundredth Monkey’, this modern parable about Nuclear War was well received and used the original study as a call to improve our behavior. It also led fans to invest in the idea even more.

If the 100th Monkey Effect is nonsense — and it definitely seems to be — is there anything useful to learn from it?

(Of course there is.)

The Element of Truth

The internet — our information and disinformation highway — has become less a road we travel on when necessary and more some kind of perpetual room we’re stuck in for most of the day.

But we’ve watched as news, fake news, new words, ideas and opinions have spread faster than they ever could before. It has divided us as much as it’s brought us together but we are — all of us — taking in new information at an unbelievable rate these days.

Gone are the days of learning solely from your local community and family. These days, readers some 6000 miles away can tell you you’re wrong instantaneously. Isn’t that wonderful?

Nothing is a greater example of collective consciousness. Nothing outside of myth and legend, that is.

The 100th Monkey Effect isn’t about a being. But maybe it’s about a tool.

#6 2020-03-30 02:04:50

marthasimons

I Hope to smile

Board footer