Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-06 13:26:32

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

What is the most fundamental concept in mathematics?

I believe that the most fundamental concept in mathematics is equality. What do you think?

Here is a very interesting essay I found: Link

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#2 2020-04-06 14:19:04

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: What is the most fundamental concept in mathematics?

Hi,

I concur.

The equals sign or equality sign (=) is a mathematical symbol used to indicate equality. It was invented in 1557 by Robert Recorde. In an equation, the equals sign is placed between two (or more) expressions that have the same value.

The Left Hand Sight equals the Right Hand Side.

There are mathematical signs

but this is sign, =, is rudimentary.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2020-04-07 02:26:35

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Wow, I wonder how people wrote math before 1557

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#4 2020-04-07 05:52:40

Bob
Administrator

Ok, an equal sign/concept is quite important but I can think of other contenders.

axiomatic approach
provability
consistency

Do we have to have a top concept?  Couldn't we have a more egalitarian approach to concepts?  Whoops! That'll be a metaphysical equal approach of course smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2020-04-08 02:50:45

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Haha interesting observation.

Indeed, the axiomatic approach and proofs is a very fundamental concept.

#6 2020-04-10 06:23:41

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Here is another exciting article about Equality

Board footer