Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-11 21:16:05

MaddSci3ntisT

Greetings from Canada!

Good day everyone! It is currently 0146 hours and I have just joined this forum. Thanks for having me.

I am a 31 y/o high school dropout who suffers from a learning disability. I am endeavouring to understand and fully comprehend grade 10 & 11 math (on my own), before I enrol at a community college to earn my grade 12 math completion. I'm currently on medical leave from work, so I'm trying to make the best of the time that I have off during this pandemic. I'm not a genius. But I heard Isaac Newton discovered some of the most complex math he's credited for. If that man can develop calculus during the plague, than surely I can earn my high school math in this pandemic!

Because of my learning disability, it takes me longer to grasp and fully comprehend something than it typically would for someone else. An analogy I like to use is it's like starting a car: some vehicles will turn over as soon as you turn the key in the ignition. For me, my car will NOT start immediately once you turn the key, it will turn over a few times before it roars to life.

I'm hoping to use this forum as a sort of 'journal' to document my journey and to discuss problems and seek answers to some of the math I am about to face. Also to maybe make some new friends!

I'm in. Are you? Let's crunch some numbers!

#2 2022-02-11 22:28:33

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Greetings from Canada!

Hi MaddSci3ntisT,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2022-02-11 23:00:28

Bob
Administrator

hi MaddSci3ntisT

Welcome.

And sometimes that car needs someone who can give it a push.  This is the place for that!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2022-02-11 23:44:10

zetafunc
Website

Hi MaddSci3ntisT,

Welcome to the forum.

Board footer