Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-19 11:30:54

Reuel

Inverse Graphing Calculator

Hi!

I found this, did a few quick searches, and decided no one had posted it yet.

Here is a calculator that you type a phrase into and a mathematical equation is made that will graph the phrase you have typed.

http://www.xamuel.com/inverse-graphing-calculator.php

I tried a simple one in Maple (the letter N) as an implicit plot and it wasn't perfect, and the equations are so long they have little (if any) practical use, but I thought it was interesting and could be a fun way to send messages to your friends.

Or secret agent spy codes.

#2 2013-10-19 12:07:57

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Inverse Graphing Calculator

Hm, I think I remember something similar on the forum. I think it was from sone Japanese/Chinese guy (sorry for not knowing which if the two). I'll have a check to find his link.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.
“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
The knowledge of some things as a function of age is a delta function.

#3 2013-10-19 12:30:54

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi Reuel;

What did you give to Maple to calculate? For one thing I would surely like to see how the graph has been ranged.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#4 2013-10-20 01:48:25

Reuel

As previously stated, I gave it an implicit plot. I determined the domain by finding where the radicand was zero and because I knew the "letter" would be in height some value close to its width I just made the range equal to its domain. In the case of the letter N I believe it was from x = 2..4.

The plot didn't look that great but it may be fixed by upping the number of points with the numpoint option. I did one letter because the equations are gigantic. I just thought it was a fun program. It would be more fun if you could copy and paste the math into something like Maple but all it yields is a picture of the equation.

#5 2013-10-20 02:53:26

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

He could improve the app by making it spit out the formula in latex and regular text.

I am not sure that he found the most economical way.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer