Math Is Fun Forum
  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-19 11:30:54

Reuel

Inverse Graphing Calculator

Hi!

I found this, did a few quick searches, and decided no one had posted it yet.

Here is a calculator that you type a phrase into and a mathematical equation is made that will graph the phrase you have typed.

http://www.xamuel.com/inverse-graphing-calculator.php

I tried a simple one in Maple (the letter N) as an implicit plot and it wasn't perfect, and the equations are so long they have little (if any) practical use, but I thought it was interesting and could be a fun way to send messages to your friends.

Or secret agent spy codes.

#2 2013-10-19 12:07:57

anonimnystefy
Real Member

Re: Inverse Graphing Calculator

Hm, I think I remember something similar on the forum. I think it was from sone Japanese/Chinese guy (sorry for not knowing which if the two). I'll have a check to find his link.

“Here lies the reader who will never open this book. He is forever dead.

“Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

#3 2013-10-19 12:30:54

bobbym
Administrator

Hi Reuel;

What did you give to Maple to calculate? For one thing I would surely like to see how the graph has been ranged.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

#4 2013-10-20 01:48:25

Reuel

As previously stated, I gave it an implicit plot. I determined the domain by finding where the radicand was zero and because I knew the "letter" would be in height some value close to its width I just made the range equal to its domain. In the case of the letter N I believe it was from x = 2..4.

The plot didn't look that great but it may be fixed by upping the number of points with the numpoint option. I did one letter because the equations are gigantic. I just thought it was a fun program. It would be more fun if you could copy and paste the math into something like Maple but all it yields is a picture of the equation.

#5 2013-10-20 02:53:26

bobbym
Administrator

Hi;

He could improve the app by making it spit out the formula in latex and regular text.

I am not sure that he found the most economical way.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

I agree with you regarding the satisfaction and importance of actually computing some numbers. I can't tell you how often I see time and money wasted because someone didn't bother to run the numbers.

Board footer