Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-14 22:33:40

math9maniac

Statistics and Economics

Hello,

Please does MIF have teaching and learning materials and resources for Statistics as a subject on its own, though a subset of Math? For instance, topics around regressions, etc. and for Econometrics.

Otherwise, could someone kindly recommend a website for me? Also, who knows of an Economics discussion forum very similar to MIFF (I know none can beat MIFF yet: my fav since I discovered it).

And finally, I have a question: Do people stop learning Math?

Only a friend tells you your face is dirty.

#2 2019-10-15 00:34:38

Bob
Administrator

Re: Statistics and Economics

hi,

The 'data' index https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/index.html  will lead you to some advanced statistical topics including correlation, bivariate data and the normal distribution for example.  I cannot find regression lines in this index, however.  I'm sure 'Mr Google' will come up with something.

Do people stop learning Math?

I hope not.  I still have a to do list of new things to learn.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2019-10-15 11:06:40

math9maniac

Wow, thanks Bob. I don't want to stop learning Math either but Economics has put me on hold now.

#4 2019-10-15 19:54:39

Bob
Administrator

Many years ago when I was doing A-level maths I studied pure maths and mechanics. Many years later I was teaching the subject.  And statistics had been added to the curriculum.  So I had to self teach so I could teach my classes.  Actually that worked quite well because I knew what had been difficult for me and how I'd overcome this. 

So I do know about regression lines for example.  Post if you need help.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2019-10-16 01:23:03

math9maniac

Thanks Bob. I'm most grateful.

#6 2019-11-19 23:30:14

George,Y

Hello, I think you are asking the subject of "Econometrics"

Econometrics is actually advanced statistics.

You see, probability deals with theoretical models, where as statistics faces real world difficulties.

You can view statistics as "applied probability". But as facing real world data, the former probabilitists found there are much more details they have to solve than good and old probabilities and they have been improving the original theory again and again.

Therefore on the practical side, statistics have evolved into Econometrics after scores of years of struggle.
If pure probability was good old Newton physics, statistics could be termed as mechanics.

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#7 2019-11-20 04:27:22

math9maniac

Hi George Y

Thanks for the insight. Pleased to make your acquaintance online too.

Regards

Board footer