Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-01 10:44:09

mathland

Find Three Additional Points

Use the slope of the line and the point on the line to find
three additional points through which the line passes.
(There are many correct answers.)

1. m = 0, (3, −2)

2. m is undefined, (2, 14)

I know the point-slope formula is needed here one way or another.
If so, how do I use the point-slope formula to answer both questions?

Thanks

#2 2021-05-01 11:41:30

zetafunc
Website

Re: Find Three Additional Points

Consider a line with m = 0 (i.e. zero gradient). What does that look like?

Now consider a line with undefined gradient*. What does that look like?

*Note that the term 'undefined gradient' can have a different interpretation but since we know it is a straight line we can get away with it here.

#3 2021-05-01 20:16:00

Bob
Administrator

If you look at my answer to your 'parallel or at right angles' post you'll see that to calculate a gradient we need up/across.

This works fine for all lines except when the line goes straight up.  Then you cannot say what the 'up' amount is and the across is zero.

Some might say the gradient is infinite, but mathematicians are very cautious about treating infinity as a number so a better way to describe such a gradient is to call it undefined.  ie. The usual definition of gradient doesn't apply in such a case.  So the undefined gradient is a vertical line.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2021-05-02 06:35:39

mathland

zetafunc wrote:

Consider a line with m = 0 (i.e. zero gradient). What does that look like?

Now consider a line with undefined gradient*. What does that look like?

*Note that the term 'undefined gradient' can have a different interpretation but since we know it is a straight line we can get away with it here.

1. A line with m = 0 is a horizontal line.

2. A line with a gradient that is undefined has a vertical line.

Yes?

#5 2021-05-02 06:38:34

mathland

Bob wrote:

If you look at my answer to your 'parallel or at right angles' post you'll see that to calculate a gradient we need up/across.

This works fine for all lines except when the line goes straight up.  Then you cannot say what the 'up' amount is and the across is zero.

Some might say the gradient is infinite, but mathematicians are very cautious about treating infinity as a number so a better way to describe such a gradient is to call it undefined.  ie. The usual definition of gradient doesn't apply in such a case.  So the undefined gradient is a vertical line.

Bob

Hi Bob.

1. A line with m = 0 is a horizontal line.

2. A line with a gradient that is undefined has a vertical line.

Yes?

#6 2021-05-02 06:51:52

zetafunc
Website

Correct.

So you want a horizontal line which passes through (3, -2) and a vertical line which passes through (2, 14). What other points might lie on these lines? Is there a pattern?

#7 2021-05-03 09:00:21

mathland

zetafunc wrote:

Correct.

So you want a horizontal line which passes through (3, -2) and a vertical line which passes through (2, 14). What other points might lie on these lines? Is there a pattern?

If there is a pattern, it's not clear to me.

#8 2021-05-03 11:09:27

zetafunc
Website

Try plotting the point (3, -2) on a graph -- then draw a horizontal line through it. Once you've done this, can you identify some other points on the line?

#9 2021-05-03 11:33:20

mathland

zetafunc wrote:

Try plotting the point (3, -2) on a graph -- then draw a horizontal line through it. Once you've done this, can you identify some other points on the line?

Now, I get it. There are endless points on the horizontal line that goes through the point (3, -2). By the way, the line is y = -2.

Board footer