Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-03 01:27:22

nycmathguy

Calculus Objectives

As I understand the introduction by Sullivan, there are 3 main objectives in
Calculus 1 aka First Semester Calculus:

1. Find the tangent line to a curve at a point (x, y).

2. Find the limit of functions.

3. Find the area under a curve between two points.

I also understand that Calculus 2 is mainly about integration. The author went on to say that most students greatly struggle in Calculus 2 due to the amount of integration techniques they must quickly learn.

Calculus 3 aka Multivariable Calculus mainly deals with 3D images. This course is also called Vector Calculus. The author went on to say that although Calculus 3 is no walk in the park, it is basic calculus compared to Advanced Calculus dealing with tensors.

I will be totally satisfied if I can "master" (see the quotation marks) the first-three calculus courses taken by most math, science and engineering students in colleges around the globe. I am not saying that tensor calculus is boring. I am simply saying that my interest does not extend beyond Calculus 3 as far as Calculus is concerned.
Differential Equations is a course that involves lots of integration. I may want to learn this material in the future.  I DEFINITELY desire to learn Linear Algebra. I have seen videos clips of Linear Algebra and find its content super cool and enriching.

Questions:

1. In your opinion, why is Calculus 2 harder than 1 and/or 3?

2. Member Bob stated that as a beginning Calculus student, there is no need for me to study/learn the formal definition of a limit using delta and epsilon. I totally agree with Bob. What do you say?

3. Do you know Advanced Calculus aka Tensor Calculus? I saw a few minutes of this course on You Tube. Honestly, it is way beyond my knowledge of mathematics.  It is also very confusing. No need for me to ever learn all this tensor stuff. 

4. What is your favorite Calculus topic? Some people like limits, some like the derivative, still others like integration.  How about you?

Board footer