Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-20 14:45:59

reyesryder

Create a carbon footprint score

Hi everyone,

I need to create a carbon footprint score. Meaning I have a bunch of Co2 footprints for different products, here’s a sample:

Product A: 235 kg Co2 eq.
Product B: 474 Kg Co2 eq
Product C: 389 kg Co2 eq
Product D: 434 kg Co2 eq

The score needs to be between 0 and 10 for each product according to their Co2 impact. I was thinking about using a normal distribution and assign a score according to their quartiles position if it makes sense. But I am not sure how to proceed.

I would really any help!

Thanks!!!

#2 2021-10-20 19:12:57

Bob
Administrator

Re: Create a carbon footprint score

hi reyesryder

Welcome to the forum. 

If you are splitting into ten parts the word is decile (by 10) rather than quartile (by 4) but I think you are over complicating this. Surely if a product has double the footprint then you want its score to double too.  So a simple linear conversion would do the trick.  A normal assignment system would mean two products in the middle range would end up with different scores even when their values are almost the same whereas two products with widely different values at the extreme ends would get the same score.

Find the highest, take zero as the lowest, then split this range into ten equal parts.  Then there is a linear connection between the raw values and the assigned scores.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer