Math Is Fun Forum

  Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-30 21:11:49

Bob
Administrator
Registered: 2010-06-20
Posts: 10,472

Image test

I am trying Phrontister's method for creating an Imgur image.

step 1. On my mobile, log in to Imgur and select an image.

step 2. Bottom right of screen, click the arrow and choose copy URL.

This is that url.

https://imgur.com/a/BURsC8w

If I enter it into my laptop browser address bar I can view the image. I'm not logged in to Imgur on my laptop so I assume anyone can do this.

step 3. On my laptop right click the image and choose 'copy image link'

step 4.  I then pasted that back into this post. Here is the link:

https://i.imgur.com/7RjDiAX.jpeg

Note. It is different to the above and has jpeg as an extension.

step 5. Add bcc code to make the image appear. open square bracket, img close square bracket; image link address;open square bracket /img close bracket.  Here is the resulting image.

7RjDiAX.jpeg

So, if a member is limited to a mobile I can convert their image so it appears in their post. They would have to do steps 1 and 2, and I'd have to do the rest.

Remaining question. Can steps 3 - 5 be done on a mobile?  Still working on that.

Bob


Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Offline

#2 2022-10-01 00:05:33

phrontister
Real Member
From: The Land of Tomorrow
Registered: 2009-07-12
Posts: 4,860

Re: Image test

Hi Bob;

Have you tried this?
MJYMiDQ.png
It's from the Imgur on mobile web FAQ section on Imgur Help.

According to the How do I get a direct image link from imgur on mobile? thread on Reddit, that method will only work on iOS.

Just trying to save you some steps & extra work! smile


"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Offline

#3 2022-10-01 00:09:59

Bob
Administrator
Registered: 2010-06-20
Posts: 10,472

Re: Image test

Hi Phro,

I'm using Android.  Tried all sorts of image sharing but have yet to get the bcc version. Elsewhere on the help it says bcc is not an option for mobiles


Bob


Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Offline

#4 2022-10-01 00:50:26

phrontister
Real Member
From: The Land of Tomorrow
Registered: 2009-07-12
Posts: 4,860

Re: Image test

Hi Bob;

If the temptation for me to replace my PC & laptop with a 'smart'phone becomes too overpowering for me, please jump in and save me!!

Right now, I don't feel the least bit tempted.

Last edited by phrontister (2022-10-01 13:08:43)


"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Offline

#5 2022-10-01 01:51:45

Bob
Administrator
Registered: 2010-06-20
Posts: 10,472

Re: Image test

All hail the laptop.  Better all round.  But not so portable.  Airport security is particular about anything above phone size.  Schiphol; did I mention don't use it as you spend your life queuing; wanted me to remove the handkerchief from my pocket so they could scan it. WHAT!

I followed the link. We seem to have already had this conversation. Worryingly, I don't remember a thing from that thread.  I'm hoping Imgur will come up with a bcc update soon.

Bob


Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Offline

#6 2022-10-01 03:00:46

phrontister
Real Member
From: The Land of Tomorrow
Registered: 2009-07-12
Posts: 4,860

Re: Image test

Bob wrote:

Worryingly, I don't remember a thing from that thread.

Oh dear!

Last edited by phrontister (2022-10-01 13:07:56)


"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Offline

#7 2022-10-01 06:20:33

Bob
Administrator
Registered: 2010-06-20
Posts: 10,472

Re: Image test

Bump see above.


Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Offline

#8 2022-10-01 10:58:57

sologuitar
Member
Registered: 2022-09-19
Posts: 467

Re: Image test

Bob wrote:

I am trying Phrontister's method for creating an Imgur image.

step 1. On my mobile, log in to Imgur and select an image.

step 2. Bottom right of screen, click the arrow and choose copy URL.

This is that url.

https://imgur.com/a/BURsC8w

If I enter it into my laptop browser address bar I can view the image. I'm not logged in to Imgur on my laptop so I assume anyone can do this.

step 3. On my laptop right click the image and choose 'copy image link'

step 4.  I then pasted that back into this post. Here is the link:

https://i.imgur.com/7RjDiAX.jpeg

Note. It is different to the above and has jpeg as an extension.

step 5. Add bcc code to make the image appear. open square bracket, img close square bracket; image link address;open square bracket /img close bracket.  Here is the resulting image.

https://i.imgur.com/7RjDiAX.jpeg

So, if a member is limited to a mobile I can convert their image so it appears in their post. They would have to do steps 1 and 2, and I'd have to do the rest.

Remaining question. Can steps 3 - 5 be done on a mobile?  Still working on that.

Bob

This is only an image test. Please copy and paste the following link. Tell me if you can see the image.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PXM8kTT

Offline

#9 2022-10-01 12:31:40

phrontister
Real Member
From: The Land of Tomorrow
Registered: 2009-07-12
Posts: 4,860

Re: Image test

harpazo1965 wrote:

Please copy and paste the following link. Tell me if you can see the image.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PXM8kTT

Yes, I can...as part of the following Imgur web page (a screen capture):

n3c7hgA.png

However, while your link works for me now, I've found from your other posts that your web page links only work for a limited time, if at all.

Last edited by phrontister (2022-10-01 14:04:07)


"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Offline

#10 2022-10-01 15:10:35

sologuitar
Member
Registered: 2022-09-19
Posts: 467

Re: Image test

phrontister wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

Please copy and paste the following link. Tell me if you can see the image.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PXM8kTT

Yes, I can...as part of the following Imgur web page (a screen capture):

https://i.imgur.com/n3c7hgA.png

However, while your link works for me now, I've found from your other posts that your web page links only work for a limited time, if at all.

Here is the solution:

1. I will post problems that do not involve images.

2. I will post mostly word problems moving forward.

3. If I decide to post algebra, all work will be typed.

4. Let's move on beyond this topic.

5. Live long and love math!!

Offline

#11 2022-10-01 16:09:11

sologuitar
Member
Registered: 2022-09-19
Posts: 467

Re: Image test

Bob wrote:

All hail the laptop.  Better all round.  But not so portable.  Airport security is particular about anything above phone size.  Schiphol; did I mention don't use it as you spend your life queuing; wanted me to remove the handkerchief from my pocket so they could scan it. WHAT!

I followed the link. We seem to have already had this conversation. Worryingly, I don't remember a thing from that thread.  I'm hoping Imgur will come up with a bcc update soon.

Bob

Bob,

Someone is deleting my threads. I think it's ganesh who is upset that I reported him to you a few days back. If my questions are going to be deleted, then maybe I should leave the skte.

I posted two problems tonight:

1. An exponential equation problem.

2. A distance formula problem.

I cannot find my two most recent threads.

Who is deleting my questions?

Offline

#12 2022-10-01 17:55:46

Jai Ganesh
Administrator
Registered: 2005-06-28
Posts: 46,703

Re: Image test

Hi,

Of late, there has been a flooding of posts, only from newer members. I had to work 20 of 24 hours, and I had to curtail this. Many such irrelevant posts have tome to notice.

Often, I have to delete adult/irrelevant contents.

I don't have anything against. As an administrator (one of the three), Deleting messages is a last resort.

I am human too. There is every possibility I made a mistake. Working overtime.

Too many posts in a short time - This particular member does this often.

I wish to tell, normally, keep post count to 5 or less, as Administrators/Moderators have to scrutinize every post.


It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Offline

#13 2022-10-01 22:50:58

phrontister
Real Member
From: The Land of Tomorrow
Registered: 2009-07-12
Posts: 4,860

Re: Image test

Hi Bob;

Bob wrote:

I'm using Android.  Tried all sorts of image sharing but have yet to get the bcc version. Elsewhere on the help it says bcc is not an option for mobiles

This is from a Quora post:
"Unfortunately there is no option to upload photos to imgur using your phones web browser because they want you to download their app. But some mobile browsers (like Chrome) have an option for you to view the desktop version of a website. If you select this option, it will load imgur as it would on your desktop PC and you can upload images that way."

Here's a link to some info on enabling/disabling the desktop version view on a range of browsers: How to View Desktop Version of Any Site on Mobile

Maybe the desktop view gives the ability to copy the url of the actual image (ie, one with an image extension) instead of an imgur web page?

Last edited by phrontister (2022-10-02 00:14:23)


"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

Offline

#14 2022-10-02 00:24:55

sologuitar
Member
Registered: 2022-09-19
Posts: 467

Re: Image test

ganesh wrote:

Hi,

Of late, there has been a flooding of posts, only from newer members. I had to work 20 of 24 hours, and I had to curtail this. Many such irrelevant posts have tome to notice.

Often, I have to delete adult/irrelevant contents.

I don't have anything against. As an administrator (one of the three), Deleting messages is a last resort.

I am human too. There is every possibility I made a mistake. Working overtime.

Too many posts in a short time - This particular member does this often.

I wish to tell, normally, keep post count to 5 or less, as Administrators/Moderators have to scrutinize every post.

Ignore more threads moving forward. Stop deleting my questions. I want no interaction with you whatever. How dare you delete my questions after it takes me forever to put it all together using my cell phone!! You have been reported to Bob for the second time. Again, DO NOT answer my questions. Your answers will simply be ignored.

Last edited by sologuitar (2022-10-02 00:26:16)

Offline

#15 2022-10-02 00:35:09

Jai Ganesh
Administrator
Registered: 2005-06-28
Posts: 46,703

Re: Image test

harpazo1965 wrote:
ganesh wrote:

You have been reported to Bob for the second time.

I have not reported to anyone. I am not interested in any conversation whatsoever with you. Period.


It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB