Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-22 18:55:17

locallycompact
Novice

Password recovery is not working.

Hi. The password recovery feature on this forum is not working for any email account. Can this be fixed? I tried contacting the support email address as well.

#2 2024-06-22 23:18:47

Bob
Administrator

Re: Password recovery is not working.

hi locallycompact

Welcome to the forum.

Whoops, it looks like you are right.  I tried this on a dummy account and got no email.  I can do some things as an administrator but not fix that. Sorry.

Do you have another username that you want to resurrect?  I can probably fix that for you. Tell me the old membership name and I'll see what I can do. I will have to be convinced that you're not trying to steal someone else's account of course. smile

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-06-23 00:59:35

locallycompact
Novice

Bob wrote:

hi locallycompact

Welcome to the forum.

Whoops, it looks like you are right.  I tried this on a dummy account and got no email.  I can do some things as an administrator but not fix that. Sorry.

Do you have another username that you want to resurrect?  I can probably fix that for you. Tell me the old membership name and I'll see what I can do. I will have to be convinced that you're not trying to steal someone else's account of course. smile

Bob

Thanks. Could we do that via email? I'm at locallycompact at gmail.com.

#4 2024-06-23 05:08:11

Bob
Administrator

Yes. I'll ask my PA, Matilda, to send you an email.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#5 2024-06-23 23:32:12

locallycompact
Novice

Thank you!

#6 2024-08-04 15:43:22

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Bob wrote:

Yes. I'll ask my PA, Matilda, to send you an email.

Bob

You have a personal assistant?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

#7 2024-08-04 19:51:12

Bob
Administrator

hi Agnishom,

Great to hear from you again.

F WETC DX WEUFQTE EH E HCSDZFUJ TCIFSC. F SEO DHC 'RCZ' YRCO F YEOU UP NCCX WJ ZCEQ TCUEFQH HCSZCU.

Bob

#8 2024-08-05 01:56:10

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

Okay!

It is great to see that you are sticking around and helping people on the forum smile

How is everything going?

'And fun? If maths is fun, then getting a tooth extraction is fun. A viral infection is fun. Rabies shots are fun.'
'God exists because Mathematics is consistent, and the devil exists because we cannot prove it'

#9 2024-08-05 19:54:45

Bob
Administrator

Things are going well for me.

Some years ago I built a sundial in the back garden but the post had gradually sunk into the soil, but unevenly, so the clock face was no longer horizontal.  I took a major decision to lift it and reset it in post cement.  But I lost the orientation on the pole star so last night I was out back at midnight finalising the adjustment.

I built it with two circular dials. The top one is fixed and points along the polar axis. The lower one can be rotated. Half the circle has the hour angles for GMT (6am to 6pm with 12noon in the middle) and the other for BST (7am to 7pm with 1pm in the middle).  That way I can change it around when we switch to 'summer time' and back for the winter. I have a graph for the equation of time with longitude correction included which yields a small angle correction so a fine adjustment can be made to the clock face to get a really accurate time throughout the year.

Bob

#10 2024-08-06 06:06:03

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

I admire your effort to set up a working sundial.

For now, I will stick to my primitive ways of using a battery-powered wrist-watch.

#11 2024-08-07 21:24:36

Bob
Administrator

Hhmmm. Very primitive. My dial doesn't need batteries and will function for thousands of years. Only snag; the sun has to be shining. smile

KmqJdtJ.jpg

Bob

#12 2024-08-20 17:45:20

Agnishom
Real Member
Website

darn that's a cool watch

What do you do on cloudy days?

#13 2024-08-20 19:21:57

KerimF

On cloudy days, he looks at the watch (waterproof for raining days too) which is placed on it smile

Every living thing has no choice but to execute its pre-programmed instructions embedded in it (known as instincts).
But only a human may have the freedom and ability to oppose his natural robotic nature.
But, by opposing it, such a human becomes no more of this world.

#14 2024-08-20 19:46:47

Bob
Administrator

When photons pass through a cloud they are scattered and so arrive in my back garden from a variety of directions. If I knew these directions I could backtrack and, by statistical analysis, determine the most likely direction from which they came.

So it should still be possible to deduce where the shadow would have fallen if only the Sunlight had had an unrestricted path to the dial.  Building the supercomputer that can do this analysis in my garden is a project in the early stages of development. As the detectors would have to be sensitive to individual photons, it would also be possible to determine the positions of some of the brighter stars. As the sidereal day is a more reliable time keeping device, not only would it become possible to tell the time at night, but without the annoying correction factor known (incorrectly) as the equation of time.

Bob

Board footer