Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-17 03:31:34

coffeeking

Questions

Well, there is a corollary on Maximum Modulus Principle that goes like this:

"If

is analytic on a path connected open set
and
attains its maximum value at a point
in
, then
is constant on
."

Well my question are:

1.)Does this statement holds true if I replace "maximum" with "minimum"?

2.)More generally, does Maximum Modulus Principle and all its corollaries the same as Minimum Modulus Principle just that we only have to replace the word "maximum" with "minimum"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.) Alright this question is not on Maximum Modulus Principle, it's something regarding the phrasing of Mathematics that I am confused in.

Let's say if we say something like

lies in
is it the same as saying
lies on
?

and the same goes for if

lies in
is it the same as saying
lies on
?

I am asking this because I always though if we say something lie in something such as 

we mean that it is contain inside the circle. Whereas when we say something lies on
, we actually mean that it "sit" right on the circumference of the circle or sometime refer to as

However, it seem to me that some textbook just use them interchangeable, could any kind soul confirm this for me?

Thanks and will appreciate if anyone could answer my questions as my exam on Complex Analysis is on next week eek

#2 2009-05-17 05:44:12

mathsyperson

Re: Questions

I think if you have f as the identity map and A as the unit circle around the origin, then |f(z)| has its minimum at the origin but isn't constant, so that's a counterexample.
So therefore, your question 2 is wrong as well.

I don't think there are any standard definitions for "in" or "on".
Probably best to use ∈and other recognised notation to say exactly what you mean.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2009-05-17 15:56:36

coffeeking

Thanks! smile

#4 2009-05-17 17:19:48

Ricky

The minimum modulus principle holds, but the theorem must add the case that mathsyperson pointed out:

If f attains it's minimum inside a region G, and f is never zero, then f is constant.

It is a good exercise to prove this.  As for "in" and "on", they are used interchangeably.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2009-05-18 04:12:06

coffeeking

I think I get the idea. Thanks big_smile

Board footer