Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-03 12:15:35

finitehelp

hardest probability ever ...please help

1.determine whether or not the given procedure results in a binomial distribution. For those that are not bi-nomial, identify at least one requirement that is not satisfied.Treating 152 couples with the YSORT gender selection method devel-oped by the Genetics & IVF Institute and recording the gender of each of the 152 babies that are born.

10. Assume that a procedure yields a binomial distribution with n trials and the probability of success for one trial is p. Use the given values of n and p to find the mean and standard devi-ation Also, use the range rule of thumb to find the minimum usual value. The final exam in a sociology course consists of 100 multiple- choice questions. Each question has 5 possible answers, and only 1 of them is correct. An unprepared student makes random guesses for all of the answers.

#2 2010-03-03 15:33:27

bobbym
bumpkin

Re: hardest probability ever ...please help

Hi;

I am not sure that I understand your questions. I will give you the standard answer for this type of problem:

The final exam in a sociology course consists of 100 multiple- choice questions. Each question has 5 possible answers, and only 1 of them is correct. An unprepared student makes random guesses for all of the answers.

The expected number of right answers or the mean  is n * p

The standard deviation is:

What else do you need?

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

Board footer