Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-06-11 01:19:22

Bob
Administrator

Re: Investigate Limit For Piecewise Function

hi phro,

Trouble is I don't think it's the phone's fault.  Imgur don't yet have a BCCode image stored or addressable for phone app users.  It looks like the app designer started afresh with the user storage space; dis-regarding what already exists for web browser users.  Left hands and right hands.  The world of computing is full of them!

The word gallery in the address suggests they have set up the user-space differently for app users.  I may find out later when I join via the  phone app.

Ho hum.  Annoying.  Funny story coming your way via another route. smile

later edit : update.

I have downloaded the app.  I can sign in using my existing username and pw.  I can view all my previous uploads.  I can only get an https:// link not a BCCode link.  I've uploaded a new picture using my phone and I can view it using my laptop.  From the laptop I can get the right code so here is my new pic:

5n5SNJt.jpg

If you are familiar with this puzzle, please note that the two parts are beginning to separate!!! If you haven'y yet solved your own I took this pic to show the exact number of windings needed to get the threads in the right place for separation.  Before that I spent hours gradually tweaking the threads and 'feeling' how loose things were becoming.  Happy puzzling!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#27 2021-06-11 01:59:53

nycmathguy

Bob wrote:

I tried adding the 'i' in i.imgur to the link but got a server error.  I also tried putting one of my links into the post and that worked.  So I changed the imgur identifying code and it failed.  I conclude that phone app users don't get the same saved image structure.  I might try getting the app and then see what happens when I try the same.  Might be a while before I get round to this.

Bob

Can we move on?

#28 2021-06-11 02:01:17

nycmathguy

phrontister wrote:
Bob wrote:

I tried adding the 'i' in i.imgur to the link but got a server error.  I also tried...[lotsa things]

Hi Bob;

Yes, been there, done that...with the same degree of success.

The post #7 link just gets me to some kind of gallery page, with the main item being the image. The ID number is wrong too, as it's very different from the number I got from clicking the image.

It's not an 'image' url as such, one with an image-format extension (eg, jpg or png)...in the form accepted by the BBCode img tags.

With the BBCode image links that are posted here on MIF, just the image shows up...nothing else. No gallery, no peripherals, no ads.

Solution: I suggest selecting the already-uploaded-to-Imgur image with the cursor (or however you do it on a phone), and demanding the recalcitrant dumb smartphone to jolly well cough up the image address!! faint

Enough is enough. Let's move on.

#29 2021-06-11 04:41:04

phrontister
Real Member

5OhyVzG.jpg

Last edited by phrontister (2021-06-16 16:01:52)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#30 2021-06-11 09:10:43

nycmathguy

phrontister wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/5OhyVzG.jpg

How did you do that?
Can I provide you the link(s) for you to copy and paste my graphs and geometric figures? I don't have a laptop or computer. I have a cell phone and two tablets. I mostly do my postings via cell phone.

#31 2021-06-11 09:12:13

nycmathguy

phrontister wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/5OhyVzG.jpg

Here is my original link to the picture:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4l3aenO

What can you do with that?

#32 2021-06-11 15:39:49

phrontister
Real Member

nycmathguy wrote:

How did you do that?

This is what I did...but it's with my PC as I don't have a smartphone, and so it may not be all that helpful to you.

1. I opened the link you gave in post #7 (and later in post #31).
2. I right-clicked the image, which brought up a 'context menu' where I clicked on 'Save image as...' (see image):
mFCOeYj.jpg
3. That produced a popup window, in which I typed a filename and chose a location on my PC for this new file.
4. I opened that file in IrfanView (the freeware image viewer program I use), and
   (a) cropped it to just what I wanted displayed (no point in displaying other nothingness taking up room);
   (b) resized the image from the original 4608x3456 px to 600x480 px, making it a more acceptable size for a forum post (IMHO).
5. Uploaded the saved image to Imgur, copied the BBCode url & pasted that into my post #29.

Done!

But you'll have to find some way of translating those steps into Android lingo, as "I know nothing!" (Schultz) 

nycmathguy wrote:

Can I provide you the link(s) for you to copy and paste my graphs and geometric figures?

Sorry, but I'll decline.

I'm sure a browser search would uncover plenty of helps, tutorials, instructional videos (etc) about apps and inbuilt features (etc) that deal with ways of achieving similar results with Android devices.

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#33 2021-06-11 15:42:10

phrontister
Real Member

nycmathguy wrote:

Here is my original link to the picture:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4l3aenO

What can you do with that?

See my post #32.

Last edited by phrontister (2021-06-16 16:06:55)

Board footer