Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-24 10:42:11

sologuitar

Find Equation of Circle

Copy and paste https://imgur.com/a/RC2gfJp to see image of circle.

Here is my try:

Our radius is 3.

Our vertex is (1, -2).

I must use the general formula for circles not centered at the origin.

(x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2

I can now plug and chug.

Let h = 1

Let k = -2

Let r = 3

(x - 1)^2 + (y -(-2))^2 = (3)^2

(x - 1)^2 + (y + 2)^2 = 9

Is this the correct equation for this circle?

Thank you.

#2 2022-09-24 14:01:51

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Find Equation of Circle

The Equation of a Circle:  Circle Equations.

Do some homework, you get it!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2022-09-24 18:14:24

sologuitar

Do you want me to do homework at 57 years old?
I am doing a self-study of mathematics, more like a review
of material learned long ago. Understand? I am WAY PAST my student
days. I haven't done homework since my last semester of college, which ended in December 1993. Copy?

Last edited by sologuitar (2022-09-25 10:20:16)

#4 2022-09-24 19:34:56

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

harpazo1965 wrote:

Do you want me to homework at 57 years old?
days. I haven't done homework since my last semester of college, which ended in December 1983. Copy?

That is why I had given the link. I wish to tell you, don't post your questions in toto. One or two, or a couple more at most, is the limit.

A part of the Forum rules:

No Personal Attacks or Put-Downs. This is a type of bullying, and just makes you look insecure.

This is not a place to be mean to others and these posts will not be tolerated. Light banter or constructive criticism can be allowed if it is polite and friendly. Remember, other people have feelings too. "Those who give respect shall receive it."

No Swearing or Offensive Topics. Young people use these forums, and should not be exposed to crudeness. There is a bad language filter on this website, do not try to "get around it".

No Spam. Spam includes messages that have no relevance to the topic, that are annoying, repetitious or promotional in nature. Overuse of short comments is also spam.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#5 2022-09-24 19:50:45

Bob
Administrator

hi harpazo1965

(x - 1)^2 + (y + 2)^2 = 9 is correct. Well done!

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#6 2022-09-25 10:30:19

sologuitar

ganesh wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

Do you want me to homework at 57 years old?
days. I haven't done homework since my last semester of college, which ended in December 1983. Copy?

That is why I had given the link. I wish to tell you, don't post your questions in toto. One or two, or a couple more at most, is the limit.

A part of the Forum rules:

No Personal Attacks or Put-Downs. This is a type of bullying, and just makes you look insecure.

This is not a place to be mean to others and these posts will not be tolerated. Light banter or constructive criticism can be allowed if it is polite and friendly. Remember, other people have feelings too. "Those who give respect shall receive it."

No Swearing or Offensive Topics. Young people use these forums, and should not be exposed to crudeness. There is a bad language filter on this website, do not try to "get around it".

No Spam. Spam includes messages that have no relevance to the topic, that are annoying, repetitious or promotional in nature. Overuse of short comments is also spam.

There is absolutely NOTHING insensitive about my reply to yours. I am educating you on who I am. You know math but don't know anything about me. You don't know my real name. You don't know my taste in music. You didn't know my age and the fact that my last college semester ended in December 1993 (not 1983) as originally posted. You don't need to feel offended.

1. I joined this forum to review math learned long ago.

2. I joined this forum because I like mathematics regardless of my age.

3. I didn't come here to argue and fight.

4. If my questions and/or replies to your comments offend you, then simply ignore my threads. Easy, right?

5. Don't put words in my mouth about what I meant or didn't mean in my replies. Why? You simply don't know ANYTHING about me. Got it? This is a lot easier than math to grasp. Just walk away from my threads and be happy in your little sensitive world.

#7 2022-09-25 10:31:45

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

hi harpazo1965

Bob

Thank you, Bob. Can you please do me a favor? Contact member ganesh (who is overly sensitive) and tell him to please ignore my questions moving forward.

#8 2022-09-25 11:24:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

harpazo1965 wrote:
Bob wrote:

hi harpazo1965

Bob

Thank you, Bob. Can you please do me a favor? Contact member ganesh (who is overly sensitive) and tell him to please ignore my questions moving forward.

I act in the interest of the members and the forum. I have no comments on this particular member's
posts.

However, it is my duty to check and edit posts.

#9 2022-09-25 19:45:03

Bob
Administrator

Some posters send in their entire homework sheet in the hope they'll be given all the answers.  We don't do that here.

A quick glance at post 1, might give the impression harpazo1965 had done this, but I spotted that, in fact, he had just posted a single question; had gone on to attempt it himself; and was merely asking if it was correct.  It looks to me that any problem with this thread resulted from a misunderstanding.  Let's move on.  I will close this thread.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer