Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-28 04:35:38

Anonymous_8035

Math Problem: A Bird and Two Cars

There are two cars driving toward each other at a speed of 5 miles per hour. When they are 15 miles apart, one car releases a bird that flies 30 miles per hour that instantaneously switches direction upon meeting a car, until the cars reach each other. How many miles will the bird fly?

#2 2023-03-28 04:38:12

Anonymous_8035
Novice

Re: Math Problem: A Bird and Two Cars

Just created an actual account. I was a bit confused on this problem, so I tried using ratios but had a lot of confusing fractions, while the multiple choices were all whole numbers.

#3 2023-03-28 13:43:45

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I am a bit in a hurry,  you well get help soon.

However, these links can be immensely helpful.

Speed and Velocity

Metric Speed

US Standard Speed

Speed

Hope these are helpful!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2023-03-28 14:43:04

Phrzby Phil

This should get you started.
I assume you mean each car's speed is 5m/h.  To simplify your thinking, it is as if one is stationary and the other's speed is 10m/h.
Distance is 15 miles, so total time till collision is 1.5 hours.
Bird flies at 30m/h for 1.5 hours.
You should be able to finish the problem now.

World Peace Thru Frisbee

#5 2023-03-29 01:41:39

Anonymous_8035
Novice

Phrzby Phil wrote:

This should get you started.
I assume you mean each car's speed is 5m/h.  To simplify your thinking, it is as if one is stationary and the other's speed is 10m/h.
Distance is 15 miles, so total time till collision is 1.5 hours.
Bird flies at 30m/h for 1.5 hours.
You should be able to finish the problem now.

I see the problem now

I was trying to find the distance the bird moves to the car each time and add them up. Thank you for clearing up this confusion!

#6 2023-03-29 02:36:58

Bob
Administrator

You can do it that way but you have to sum up two infinite series.  It's messy and Phil's method is quite neat.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#7 2023-03-29 09:55:24

Phrzby Phil

As a math student - I suggest you do it the "messy" way also.  Since you know the answer from the "easy" way - you'll know if you got it right.  One more technique learned.

(Disclosure - Of course, as a FORMER math student and teacher/tutor, I have no intention of doing that myself.  I presume I can, and that's good enough for me!  I'm going out to play Frisbee.)

World Peace Thru Frisbee

Board footer