Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-05 22:07:20

666 bro

series of questions

hello everyone i'm revising the entire high school mathematics as a prerequisite for learning discrete mathematics so i'm having slight confusion in the following topics
(1):What does equivalence class refers to and explain with an example?
(2):  how to prove a function whether its a surjective mathematically?

"An equation for me has no meaning, unless it expresses a thought of God"- Srinivasa ramanujan

#2 2023-05-05 22:55:05

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: series of questions

Hi 666 bro,

See the links here: Equivalence class

Surjective function: Surjective function.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2023-05-06 02:07:04

666 bro

thanks ganesh smile

"An equation for me has no meaning, unless it expresses a thought of God"- Srinivasa ramanujan

#4 2023-05-07 00:30:32

666 bro

i've understood the equivalence classes and surjective function with examples and i'm having a query related to taylor expansion
in taylor series approximation what does the error term means and for what purposes this error term is used ? explain with an example .

#5 2023-05-07 00:56:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi,

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6 2023-05-07 20:17:38

Bob
Administrator

hi 666 bro

Some functions can be expressed as an infinite series of terms.  The Taylor series is one method for achieving this.

If you use the series to get the actual value of the function for some x, it is not possible to completely evaluate the series since it is infinite.  If the terms get smaller then you can approximate the value by ignoring all terms after a certain point. The difference between the true value of the function and the approximation is the error.

eg.

If I just use the first 5 terms I get 2.70833333  Subtract this from the true value of e and you get the error.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

Board footer